Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Virgin

Using BB Abroad

I have a Blackberry Curve 8520 on Virgin on a pay monthly contract. I'm now on holiday in the US and didn't phone them up before I left about using it abroad, although I checked the roaming charges. I don't really intend to use my phone to call and text so I turned off the mobile network and data services etc on the plane, hoping I wouldn't be charged.

I do however want to use the browser, bbm and my twitter app. Would I be charged for using wifi? (I read somewhere before I went that this was possible for free) I have been able to connect to it in certain places and use these things but it doesn't work without turning on data services, so I'm going to assume it has charged me, but I wanted to know what others thought about this. 

Thanks!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: Using BB Abroad

As long as your bb is connected to wifi it will use that over the carrier wireless.

If your worried, under manage connections - mobile network options you can turn off data services while roaming - this should still allow use via wifi
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

jamead is absolutely correct. You can use you BlackBerry in wi-fi and will be able to use BBM, email, twitter and browse without incurring any additional cost.

Enjoy your BlackBerry abroad...

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Virgin

When I tried to use these things with only wifi on, it said something about the radio not being turned on. It only worked when I turned on data services, which is what worried me. Is that the 'radio' it was talking about or is it something else?