Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Using Blackberry Abroad

I'm on a contract with T-Mobile in the UK and get all the necessary BlackBerry services, so I've got instant emails and BlackBerry enterprise and the sort that I can use my BBM.

I'm going away for the next three months, and would like to be able to have my BlackBerry with me and working. T-Mobile have offered me a £15 charge a month whereby I can send/receive unlimited emails directly to my phone wherever I am in the world, but they do not offer any package bundle for internet usage. The lovely people over at T-Mobile have no idea if this service will allow me to use my BlackBerry Messenger while abroad, 'seeing as it's a RIM service and not one provided by T-Mobile'

Q: Does BBM work via the internet or via instant emails? I'm just thinking whether or not I would be able to use my BBM abroad without getting charged ridiculous amounts of money on roaming rates. Seeing as I've got this £15 a month deal for sending and receiving instant emails, does that include blackberry usage? I literally have no idea who to ask seeing as I don't really understand how BBM works. Would it fall under the auspices of instant emails or would it be part of the internet usage meaning I'll be charged?

Any ideas would be amazing.

Super Contributor
My Device: 7230,7290,8100,8300,8700,9000

Re: Using Blackberry Abroad

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Blackberry Email, BB messanger, Pin to Pin messages, Blackberry Internet Browser uses the same access point (APN) in the data network, which is blackberry.net, and they are ALL RIM services.  Therefore, in "normal circumstance", carrier's unlimited plan means waiving all the data traffic going through blackberry.net APN.  You can check this by looking at your BB's service books, go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Books > open the service starts with your email address, the Gateway IP should be xxx.xxx.xxx......./blackberry.net. 

However, who knows what setting T-Mobile have setup at the background to differenciate different traffic.  I would suggest you only take advise from them regarding to charges as they are liable with info they supply to you, but not anyone from here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone give you helpful hints, please click on Kudos.
If you issue is resolved, mark Accept Solution next to the resolution post.
Feel free to search www.blackberry.com/btsc to find your answers.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

My issue is that T-Mobile refuse to give me any information, saying that they simply 'don't know' and that it's up to me to call RIM and figure that out. It's quite annoying, and I've spoken to 6 different people at T-Mobile about it today, all of which said they can't actually tell me anything because they don't know whether P2P or BBM or any of that would apply. All they can assure me for is BlackBerry Instant Emails.
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: 7230,7290,8100,8300,8700,9000

That is the most irresponible reply from your carrier and I would suggest you to ask for a supervisor and keep escalating the case until your have an answer. 

I can gaurantee you that data charges has nothing to do with RIM, your carrier is charging you to use their network, not RIM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone give you helpful hints, please click on Kudos.
If you issue is resolved, mark Accept Solution next to the resolution post.
Feel free to search www.blackberry.com/btsc to find your answers.
Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I wish to use my Blackberry abroad in France and want to know if T-Mobile do any blackberry plans for abroad use. If not can i buy a French Sim card and buy a blackberry booster that way or do French sim cards only work in French phones?

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

The answer to all of those questions is Yes. You can do each one.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

So do french sim cards inly work in french phones? Does the t-mobile BBROAM service truly offer unlimited internet and email?

willz08z wrote:
So do french sim cards inly work in french phones?

No, if the device is unlocked for other SIM cards, any carrier's SIM will work in it.

willz08z wrote:
 Does the t-mobile BBROAM service truly offer unlimited internet and email?

You will need ask TMobile that question.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Ah ok asking t mobile now. Will all my services work abroad (like bb maps, facebook)?

Yep. As long as you have data.

Knowledge Base Updates