Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Using Storm as Tethered Modem - Ups and Downs

I found out that if I use my BB Storm as a tethered modem, the service is cheaper than using a data card in my laptop. The only downside I know of is that if a phone call comes in, I get disconnected from the Internet. 

Are there any other downsides? 

Is the speed slower if I use the BB instead of a resident data card in my laptop?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: STORM 9530 on VERIZON 552 kbps

Re: Using Storm as Tethered Modem - Ups and Downs

LOBONCA wrote:

I found out that if I use my BB Storm as a tethered modem, the service is cheaper than using a data card in my laptop. The only downside I know of is that if a phone call comes in, I get disconnected from the Internet. 

Are there any other downsides? 

Is the speed slower if I use the BB instead of a resident data card in my laptop?

tethering can be pretty fast depending on where you live.

i havent used it on my storm, but did on my moto Q, and when i got a call, i could answer it, and surf the net when call was done, just not both at the same time.

downside is your limited to 5gb per month and have to watch what you download.  

If I or another member have helped, be sure to click the KUDOS!!!

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

http://www.rimblackberrystorm.webs.com

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I've used a Blackberry 8703e as a modem on a laptop.  It worked well. I was getting about 1.5 mb/sec maximum. It worked well. I didn't like using the Blackberry as a modem, because I was missing important business calls, and being interupted.  I would get a second mobile phone to use as a modem if I really needed this.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Developer

Did any of you guys have to pay extra to use your blackberry as a modem? I wanted to just check on something related to using it as a modem and I was told it's an extra $30 per month to use it as a modem, when I am certain I was told it was free with the unlimited internet data plan. This was the reason I went with this phone. My old phone wasn't as fancy as my Storm, but I could connect it as a modem for free...and it was $5 less expensive than the storm per month.

Whats the story on your ends? I'm with Verizon.

Thanks

-Donald

Trusted Contributor

You can sidestep paying your provider for tethering your BB as a modem by using

Tetherberry. You can get it at Handango.

It is very easy to set up and well worth the few dollars they ask for. It pays for itself

in one month. Works great. My speeds are not nearly as fast as DSL but the upside is

I can use it anywhere my BB works.

Developer

These guys say that tetherberry isn't even needed....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/using-storm-modem-mode-178953/

So, I'm not sure what the deal is? :-)

Thx

-D

Forums Advisor III

The telephone company that I am using (Bell Canada) is charging $45 per month to have 1 GB per month when tetherning a digital phone such as a Blackberry. This applies even if the phone has unlimted data with its normal user plan.

As for my personal opinion, I think it's a big rip-off, because I cannot see how using the phone as a modem incures a greater cost for them, rather than using the phone as an internet device on its own screen and keypad. 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Trusted Contributor

Hello Jerry G.

Tetherberry will work just fine in Canada and you can tell Bell Canada bye bye with their $45 per month charge.

Obie

Forums Advisor III

What you are saying is to quit using Bell Canada? 

This means breaking an expensive contract, and having to buy a new phone! Bell phones are proprietary to their own system. They do not use a changeable SIM card for their system. I did hear they are under a lot of pressure to give in to using the SIM card system.

Bell will sell a phone that is a dual system where it works on the Bell proprietary system, and also has a SIM card option. 

If I remember correctly, all Canadian carriers are charging expensive extra fees to use the tethering option. So, you will not win in this case! 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Trusted Contributor

I am saying keep Bell but tell them to drop the service that is costing you $45 per month to use your Blackberry as a modem