Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: bold montana 9930
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Using my BB in Shanghai, China

Hi guys,
I have a blackberry bold montana 9930, I have it unlocked and now can be used with gsm carrier in indonesia (never tried with cdma carrier eventho my montana originally made for cdma).
I am going to china this january, which carrier works better for my montana? I just need to use my bbm and 1 email account (if it isn't too much to ask, I would like also to browse the net and use bb map (in case I get lost).
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers..
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone (unlocked)

Hello, 

China unicom do not do a blackberry internet service unless you are working in china. Which is annoying as they actually have the best general internet services! China Mobile do BBM and internet but can be quite expensive on PAYG (i'm paying 98rmb per month but regularly go over this amount when trying to access googlemaps and internet pages)

You will need to go to a China Mobile store with your passport and phone in order to sign up for the BIS! 

Hope this helps!!!

New Contributor
My Device: bold montana 9930
My Carrier: verizon

Hi,
Thanks for replying..

So, china unicom doesn't have BIS and doesn't have prepaid sim card?
I'll cross CU from my list.
How about china telecom?

And for china mobile, could I get the sim card at the huangzhou or shanghai airport? Or I have to find the store first and show them my passport?
And is there any daily or weekly plans, instead of monthly? I only stay for 8 days in china.

Thanks
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone (unlocked)

China unicom does have BIS but will only issue it to business customers! Have not heard much about China Telecom, i guess it is a smaller company - China unicom and China mobile are the main ones!

I havnt seen any SIM stalls at the airport but would make sense for them to be there, possibly at hongqiao but very unlikely at pudong (both shanghai) i would have thought.... 

Your best bet is to find a Carreforre or other similar convenience store which sells mobile phones, there are street vendors who sell SIM cards and top ups also...

You can get the SIM and then go with that, your phone and your passport to the store and they should be able to register you, to be honest its a very big hassle for 8 days so if possible, i would just use your roaming on your home network! 

I dont think there are any shorter plans for BIS services other than monthly! - Hope this helps!