Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Advisor III
My Device: STORM 9530 on VERIZON 552 kbps

VERIZON AND RIM NEED TO STAND UP

I have had the 9530 since dec 9th and so far i love the phone.  i do have a few issues with it though.
1.  the physical screen moves left & right, up and & down.
2.  the four buttons on the bottom are very flimsy.
3.  the light comes around the corner of the buttons.
4.  the gap around the screen.
5.  the speaker grill on the back is a lint collector because of the glue used!
6.  the battery life is not as good as expected, but it seems that the past few days it has done rather well.
7.  major lack in blue tooth features when synced with a computer and lack of blue tooth sync with blackberry desktop manager.

the lack of verizon to admit there are some hardware and software issues with the phone really bothers me, and trying to contact someone at rim is near impossible.  the software issues are should be easily resolved, but hardware issues are another thing.  be in that we are gen 1 adopters, it would be nice to be extended hardware revisions that would not negatively effect us.

If I or another member have helped, be sure to click the KUDOS!!!

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

http://www.rimblackberrystorm.webs.com

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: VERIZON AND RIM NEED TO STAND UP

the screen is meant to move around! explain to me how a "click" screen should not move?
" if you can't weather a storm, then you shouldn't have one"
Forums Advisor III

krazyrob1 wrote:
the screen is meant to move around! explain to me how a "click" screen should not move?

it moves left right up and down and rattles

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

Regular Contributor

To my knowledge, all of the screens move left, right, up and down about a millimeter.

I received a Storm a couple of days ago, and the screen rattled. I talked to tech support over the phone. He said it shouldn't rattle. I also brought it into Verizon. The tech there looked at it, and she said she'd never seen one which rattled like mine did, that it was defective. Verizon sent me a new one, which I received today. The new one moves as described above. It doesn't rattle when shaken, but it does "click" against the sides when you push it around. That feature makes me a little uneasy too. Others have reported that they don't like the amount of dust which gets around the screen.

I'm going to take mine for a spin over the next month's free trial and see how it goes. I think it's a great phone so far, although it does have its share of quirks. 

Regular Contributor

Sorry, just thought I would clarify . . . 

The first one rattled quite a bit. I literally thought something was loose inside. Turns out it was the screen. It sounded like a pedometer when moving it around.  

The second one mildly clicks against the sides if shaken a bit, but NOTHING like the first one. The first one only had to be mildly moved around for it to rattle.

Anyway, Verizon was very cool in sending me a new one. You may want to check your local dealer and see if their display models rattle less than yours. If it's anything like my first one was, you'd want a replacement. I believe with EVERY Storm phone you try, that screen will move and click against the sides to some degree or other. 

Forums Advisor III

thank you, atleast you understand what im talking about.  its not the fact so much that it has some movement, its the fact of how loose it is.  my replacement will be coming today as well and we will see how good it is.

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

[ Edited ]

You have to ignore the ignorance of those who say you should accept a severely flawed product. These same people are the reason it is so easy for companies to force bad products onto consumers and not have to stand behind them. This is why customer service really doesn't exist these days and why the consumer continues to pay more and receive less. I too have some serious issues with the Storm and I think RIM and Verizon need to start giving clients answers, mainly RIM, Verizon on the other hand as our service provider should be fighting for their clientele.

As I've said inmany threads I am accustomed to dealing with the issues that are bound to be found by consumers after a products launchhowever certain problems that plague the Storm should have never made it past testing. The product was clearly rushedand consumers will pay the price. The screenmoving side to side and up and down has nothing to do with the devicesclickable screen, it has to do with fit and finish and what RIM is willing toput their name on. If RIM had higher standards for quality the Storm's screenwouldn't move all over the place, it would merely click as advertised with aminimum ability to move in any other direction. The gaps around the screen arefit and finish as well, Apple would never release a product with these kinds ofgaps, it begs for all kinds of debris to enter the phone. 

I'm on my third Storm and even it is flawed and the funny thing is Verizon will probably send me another phone but what is the point if I will be receiving another flawed product. I'm going to start a thread on flawed Storms and where they were manufactured after this post because I noticed some difference in the Canadian phones I received and the one Mexican built phone I received, hopefully it will help shed some light onto things. Some of the things you mentioned can be rectified through software updates but all the things you named that had to do with hardware and the actually build quality of the phone are all issues I've thought were unacceptable for a device that would retail for $500? Without receiving a discount? That is a laugh, but I guess the joke is on me since I bought it. 

Message Edited by Gixhost on 12-18-2008 10:33 AM
Highlighted
Forums Advisor III

:smileymad:AMEN TO THAT! :smileymad:

:smileymad:GET ON THE BALL BIG RED:smileymad:

Gixhost wrote:

You have to ignore the ignorance of those who say you should accept a severely flawed product. These same people are the reason it is so easy for companies to force bad products onto consumers and not have to stand behind them. This is why customer service really doesn't exist these days and why the consumer continues to pay more and receive less. I too have some serious issues with the Storm and I think RIM and Verizon need to start giving clients answers, mainly RIM, Verizon on the other hand as our service provider should be fighting for their clientele.

As I've said inmany threads I am accustomed to dealing with the issues that are bound to be found by consumers after a products launchhowever certain problems that plague the Storm should have never made it past testing. The product was clearly rushedand consumers will pay the price. The screenmoving side to side and up and down has nothing to do with the devicesclickable screen, it has to do with fit and finish and what RIM is willing toput their name on. If RIM had higher standards for quality the Storm's screenwouldn't move all over the place, it would merely click as advertised with aminimum ability to move in any other direction. The gaps around the screen arefit and finish as well, Apple would never release a product with these kinds ofgaps, it begs for all kinds of debris to enter the phone. 

I'm on my third Storm and even it is flawed and the funny thing is Verizon will probably send me another phone but what is the point if I will be receiving another flawed product. I'm going to start a thread on flawed Storms and where they were manufactured after this post because I noticed some difference in the Canadian phones I received and the one Mexican built phone I received, hopefully it will help shed some light onto things. Some of the things you mentioned can be rectified through software updates but all the things you named that had to do with hardware and the actually build quality of the phone are all issues I've thought were unacceptable for a device that would retail for $500? Without receiving a discount? That is a laugh, but I guess the joke is on me since I bought it. 

Message Edited by Gixhost on 12-18-2008 10:33 AM