Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Curve 8330C
Accepted Solution

VZ Navigator on my 8330

For Bifocals:

I tried out the navigator. It found my house location on the map OK. When I asked it what the actual location was (street address) it was 10 digits off at a non existent location. When I exited and returned it showed the cul de sac just past one house to right but not even my location with the wrong address. Accuracy and repetition doesn't seem to be it's outstanding qualities but maybe I expect too much.

My Garmin car device is dead accurate. I'll keep playing with it. Maybe other users can tell me their experience.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: VZ Navigator on my 8330

Hi Fkess,

I'm surprised by that! That is about what I get from Google maps without my GPS. I would be interested in your further experience.

Please let me know,

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Trusted Contributor

I'll keep trying. How do I get the Google maps?

Guru I

Here is the web page,, I would go to the mobile link and download it directly to the BB,

Thanks

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps/index.html

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Trusted Contributor

Will the google D/L interfere with the VZ that's now on my BB?

I just ran more tests in the vicinity of my house:

When i tried where am i, it found all my neighbors addresses but not mine even when I was standing in front of my place. It calculated non-existant addresses which jump by 6 between properties. When I walked about 30 feet to the right, it jumped to the next intersection and gave me an address on the cross street. It did find my drug store about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies (along with all their locations) in a 5 mile radius. i will try the same thing with my Garmin and also ask Verizon what the accuracy specs are.

At this point i'm not sure I  fully trust it even for the low monthly fee.

More later.

I'm in the middle of Silicon Valley by the way.

Guru I

Hi,

Google maps will only be as accurate as your device GPS, so there may be no improvement.

Thanks

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Fkess wrote:

Will the google D/L interfere with the VZ that's now on my BB?

No.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Trusted Contributor

I checked Nav and Garmin in the same place.

Garmin  Lat N 37deg 24' 4.7" /Lon W 122deg 7' 36"

VZ Nav   lat  N 37deg 24' 17.2" / Lon W122deg 7' 27"

As far as the house number, Garmin only tells you that you have arrived and to turn in. It does not try to guess the address.The only reason that it states the address is because it was the requested destination. The Garmin data is over a year old and due for a $69 update, ugh!

One other thing, the VZ is Ver 2.9.9 build 120. The device keeps telling me that

it is the latest and there are no updates. Yet, I d/l the user guide and it says it's for version 4.0?? It was d/l by Best Buy to my device only 3 days ago. I'll have to call Verizon.

Which system is more precise/accurate? Who knows except with the VZ I don't want to be looking for non existing addresses.

Not very important in the overall scheme of things, just interesting.

Guru I

I believe with GPS it's how many sattelites it can find, to get the best accuracy,

Google maps with out a gps gets me to 1500 meters of where I really am....so you are WAY ahead of me!!

Trusted Contributor

I think I know why I have VZ nav ver 2.9.9. I think that the helpful store guy just copied his version to my BB. Verizon says the latest is 4.0 so I'll have to d/l that.

I think mine is about 15+/- m so I shouldn't complain.

I guess it's time to install the two CDs that came with the BB.

I stopped in a Starbucks today tried the Browser and it worked. i need to sign up online with some of the prorams.

Amazing device.