Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

Verizon 9850 Internet, MMS, Email, BBM, data not working...on PagePlus

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

I recently switched from Verizon over to PagePlus service with my 9850.  There are a couple of reasons I did this, but have run into some unintended consequences as a result. 

First, I have become tired of paying $120+/mo for Verizon service contracts.  I still love my BB phones too so trying to stick with them.  I did the math, and in the long run it is much more cost effective to buy a phone outright and pay for the same or even better service on a prepaid plan.  This was my initial plan, I wanted to buy a Z10 and use it on Verizon Prepaid.  However at this point in time, Verizon corporate notified me that they do not allow 4G phones on prepaid.  So I went to my "Plan B".

My contract was up with Verizon, so instead of renewing I switched my 9850 over to PagePlus service, which is a small prepaid carrier that uses the Verizon network.  For $30/mo, you can't beat thier service, which includes talk, text and data.  That is what I thought, at least until I found that activating my 9850 with them uploaded new service books that don't support Blackberry Internet Service.  This effectively disabled my phone from using any MMS, Email, Internet and BBM.  Even when connected to WIFI!  My phone is now a fancy near-brick that can only make calls or SMS texts. 

Not cool right?  I did some research on ways to remedy this issue.  There have been a few people in various forums who, on other BB model phones, hacked/rewrote the service books and somehow made thiers work.  I am unable to do this because since I switched over to PagePlus, my Verizon based Blackberry account was locked out.  So, as a faithful Blackberry user, this is my last ditch effort at finding a way to enable the data for use on my phone again. 

Any takers or suggestions?  It would be greatly appreciated.  I really don't want to go to an android, someone please help!

P.S. If this doesn't work I may look into trying to activate a Z10 on PagePlus, but I'm not willing to drop the money on that unless I can be garaunteed in writing that it will work fully functional.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Verizon 9850 Internet, MMS, Email, BBM, data not working...on PagePlus

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

This site is sponsored by BlackBerry -- "hacks" are not open for discussion here, as per the Ts and Cs of the site.

All legacy devices require a proper BIS plan in order to enable the BB-proprietary services, including all that you mention no longer function. This is WAD -- Working As Designed.

BB10 devices require only a generic data plan to function...they do not use BIS at all for anything. I know 100% that a Z10 can function on a TMO $30 pre-paid plan...I did exactly that for a time. I do know know if what VZW/PagePlus have told you about supporting BB10 on their service is true or not, but I know that BB10 can work with pre-paid plans.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks sdgardne,

So I am guessing that any kind of altered service book is considered a hack then?  I am not attempting to circumvent the BB-proprietary services, but instead trying to find a legitimate solution to this issue if at all possible.  All I know is that PagePlus utilizes the VZW network, and it appears that they don't offer a BIS plan.  I didn't get very far with thier customer service, although being a low cost service they weren't really willing to help either.  Based on what you told me and since my VZW BB was reprogrammed for the PagePlus service plan, it is my assumption that the VZW service books were deleted or became inactive on my new plan (causing my problems). 

My last question on this subject is will BB work with me or PagePlus to develop a BIS service book, even if I was willing to pay for it?  Android is tempting, but I still enjoy BB features more and if not I guess I will be forced to purchase a Z10.  Bottom line here is that the Torch I have is a perfectly good phone and I don't need a new one, and although I am looking to buy a Z10 I shouldn't be forced into it by some proprietary software bullsh*t policy.  BB should be willing to work with their remaining loyal customers, especially considering thier current position in the market.  Perhaps I'm a dying breed, having been with BB a long time and purchased curves, storms, this torch, playbooks, and nearly every accessory to go with them. 

VZW corporate told me specifically that they won't support any 4G devices, regardless of brand, on their prepaid plans.  That's why I dropped them.

PagePlus told me they don't offer technical support for my specific model of BB phone, as the list of the phones they do support is very limited.  

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

rotaryenginepete wrote:

So I am guessing that any kind of altered service book is considered a hack then?  I am not attempting to circumvent the BB-proprietary services, but instead trying to find a legitimate solution to this issue if at all possible.  All I know is that PagePlus utilizes the VZW network, and it appears that they don't offer a BIS plan.  I didn't get very far with thier customer service, although being a low cost service they weren't really willing to help either.  Based on what you told me and since my VZW BB was reprogrammed for the PagePlus service plan, it is my assumption that the VZW service books were deleted or became inactive on my new plan (causing my problems).

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics. One could interpret that any attempt to use services for which one does not pay would be a "hack". If the service level you pay for does not include the BB-proprietary services you desire, then any attempt to use those services (without paying for the service plan level that enables them) could be interpreted as a "hack".

rotaryenginepete wrote:

My last question on this subject is will BB work with me or PagePlus to develop a BIS service book, even if I was willing to pay for it?

I doubt it. BB does not deliver any services directly to end users. All services are a contractual matter between the user and their mobile service provider. On the back end, there are agreements between the carrier and BB, but those do not impact the fact that the carrier is the direct contractual channel for the end user. BB is not that channel. So, if perhaps BB would agree to such a thing, then they would I think likely be violating their back-end agreement with the carrier...hence, not likely to happen.

rotaryenginepete wrote:
Bottom line here is that the Torch I have is a perfectly good phone and I don't need a new one, and although I am looking to buy a Z10 I shouldn't be forced into it by some proprietary software bullsh*t policy.  

Regardless of ones judgement about the policy itself, it's somewhat irrelevant...the policy has existed since BBs existed. It's nothing new for legacy BBOS devices. The only change is how BB10 devices can obtain services...there is no change to how legacy devices obtain services. I tend to agree that I think that there has always been an issue with legacy in that in some regions of the world, BIS costs nothing extra over a generic data plan. In other reasons, it's an added costs. But this is a situation created by the service providers, not by BB. Each carrier determines their own pricing based on their market. BB dictates nothing about how the individual carriers price their services. But, again, this is how it's always been...nothing we can change, and nothing influenced by BB10 (other than an alternative existing for those who upgrade to newer devices).

rotaryenginepete wrote:

PagePlus told me they don't offer technical support for my specific model of BB phone, as the list of the phones they do support is very limited.  

Again, not anything new. I know of no carrier that supports 100% of the legacy BBOS device models. None. All seem to choose a subset of devices that they will support on their network for full and automatic HRT and Service Book delivery...both of which are required in order for a legacy BB device to receive BB proprietary services. But, again, no news here...this is how it's always been.

The introduction of BB10 enables the ability to function via non-BIS data plans from the carriers. Sure, that's a motivation to encourage users to upgrade...also nothing new in that strategy within a capitalist market-driven society.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks again for your help and explanation.  The plan I am paying for currently does include data services, but I was not aware that a BIS plan was technically different from any other data plan.  The fault really goes to PagePlus for not supporting BIS nor giving me notification of this fact, and then to me for not figuring that out ahead of time.  Mainly it is just very frustrating that I cannot even use the phone natively on WIFI because of the data service lockout situation.  That is the most annoying factor, for which I am disgruntled with the BIS design. 

You're right about the market strategy.  I personally prefer to completely get my money's worth out of a product before upgrading, and view the entire cell phone industry as extremely wasteful.  Its actually one of the main reasons I prefer Blackberry over the others, because they stick to the basics and in my opinion offer some of the best phones out there in terms of useability, security and reliability.  Discovering this unfortunately designed feature of BIS exposed a small contradiction with my principles and expectations on the matter.  But, if its any consolation, I am now shopping for a Z10. 

Thanks again.

Hall of Famer III

You are welcome. Good luck!

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Tmobile

I'm currently experiencing the same issue on my Curve 9310 but, the internet works on wifi only. My phone is currently offered on Verizon prepaid Straighttalk so, maybe they have service book settings that will help. I hope pageplus support BIS in the future.