Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Verizon Tour Users: Revert to old OS here.

[ Edited ]

These instructions are for Verizon 9630 Tour users who have been upgraded to OS 5.0 and wish to downgrade back to OS 4.7 or a different version of 5.0.  Aside from downloading Desktop Manger and the OS files the process takes about 30-45 minutes. 

First off, you will need a PC to do this procedure. If you're on a Mac, find someone's PC to borrow.  Also, before you begin, go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs and make sure there are no other BlackBerry OS's installed.  If Desktop Manager is installed, make sure you leave that installed.

1.  If you don’t have it already, download and install Desktop Manager to your PC.  When installing be sure you install for "personal email" (unless you're on a corporate BES).  If you are a Vista/Win7 user then you'll need to right click on the downloaded files and select "Run as Adminstrator" for anything you install to your PC.  You can find ithe latest DM here:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/

2.  Once installed, plug in the device and run Desktop Manager and go to backup/restore and make a full backup of your device.  Take note of where the backup file is being saved as you will need it at the end of these instructions.  It's a good idea to make backups weekly so if you ever lose your device for any reason you still have most of your data. 

3.  Download and install JL_Cmder to your PC.  You will use this small application to wipe the current OS from the device, leaving an error 507 on the screen of the device.  To do this just download and then install to your PC and then plug in the device and run it.  When it opens use Option 4 to wipe the device.  You can find JL_Cmder and more instructions about it's use here:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

4.  Once the device has been wiped (device should show a 507 error on the screen) you’ll need to download and install the OS to your PC.  This is where you will have to choose: 

a.   9630 OS 5.0.0.419:  This version of 5.0 doesn’t have the browser bug that is in the current release from VZW and has the old lock/standby features.  Go to the following site (it’s for MTS Mobility but will work on any 9630) and choose 9630, download and install to your PC.   https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A928731E103DFC64C0027FA84709689E

OR:

b.   9630 OS 4.7.1.65:  This is a few versions newer than Verizon’s 4.7.1.61 version that shipped on the Tour and is the latest 4.7 version out there for the Tour.  Download and install to your PC.   https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=4AA0E93B918848BE0B7728B4B1568D8A

5.   Once you have decided which version you want to reinstall, and have downloaded and installed to your PC, then you’ll need to go to My Computer and go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader and delete a file called “Vendor.xml”.   Vista/Win7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS.

6.   In that same folder you navigated to in step 5 there is a file called Loader.exe.  Plug in the BB with the 507 error and double click on the Loader.exe file.  It may come up and say PIN:XXXXXXX (X’s represent your PIN number) or PIN:Unknown.  Just click next and force the Loader to detect the device and follow the prompts to install the new OS.  Make sure you check all the applications you’d like installed on your device.  Finish the process.  It should reload the OS to the device.  This can take 30 minutes or so and the device may reboot and hang on "waiting for initialization"...just give it time.

7.  When it's finished, close Application Loader.

8.  Open Desktop Manager.

9.  Click on Backkup/Restore.  Then click on Restore.

10.  Go to the upper left corner of Desktop Manager and select File.  Now navigate to where the “Loaderbackup-(today’s date).ipd” file was saved in step 2 (you should have made note of where it was saved.)  Double-click it to open it in the Restore box.  If you had another backup that you’d rather restore, go ahead and restore whichever backup you prefer.

11,  Restore th at file to the device.  It may take a few minutes to complete the restore process.

Your device should now be functional again. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Verizon Tour Users: Revert to old OS here.

Hi. Just need to check, is this the instructions for downgrading a Storm 9500 or have I miss understood the previous.

If not, would you post the instructions for Storm 9500.  Many many thanks - Sally

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

This is for the Tour as indicated in the thread title and this is posted in the Tour discussion areal.  The instructions are the same, though.  You'll just need to find downloads for the older OS's for the 9550.

The link below has links to the old OS's.  The first post of the thread has all the info for the latest OS and then at the bottom of that post is a link to the previous.  You can click the previous OS version link until you find the version you want. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Vodafone

John_Clark wrote:

This is for the Tour as indicated in the thread title and this is posted in the Tour discussion areal.  The instructions are the same, though.  You'll just need to find downloads for the older OS's for the 9550.

The link below has links to the old OS's.  The first post of the thread has all the info for the latest OS and then at the bottom of that post is a link to the previous.  You can click the previous OS version link until you find the version you want. 

Thanks, sorry for not reading the thread header, first time I have used anything like this.

You say 'link below' but I don't seem to see any link, please can you re post the link.

New Contributor
My Device: 9630 Tour
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't believe Verizon users are allowed to download MTS Mobility OS for the BB Tour.  The download site asks whether the user has a MTS subscription.  Why is it necessary to wipe the BB when the OS can be installed with the Desktop Manager as an upgrade from the Verizon 4.7?  The new Verizon 5 OS seems to work fine except that the lock icon is no longer available and it seems that my Tour now uses up the battery at an incredible rate.  I doubt that the standby time without use is over 48 hours, and if the phone is used for other applications, it is probably not enough to last a day.  I thought the problem was a bad battery, but I installed a new battery purchased from Verizon.

Guru II

I've downloaded OS's from other carriers for over 5 years, and it's quite commonplace.  The OS's are the same.

Guru II

The reason I recommended the wipe is because there are numerous devices that are unusable after this update and these instructions will fix almost any device regardless of whether the device is in working order or not. 

It's true that if you don't have the 5.0 installed on the PC and install only the 4.7 that it will backup and downgrade without having to wipe first.  However, if you read these forums you will see that many have serious problems after the first update goes bad.  The instructions above will work in almost all scenarios.

New Contributor
My Device: 9630 Tour

The Verizon 5.0 still uses up the battery much faster to the point where it is not practical to use it except from home, office, or in a car with handsfree and plugged in.  I wrote a review on the Verizon web site yesterday, but Verizon has not posted it.  I am sure I am not the only Verizon Tour owner with this excessive battery use problem after updating to 5.  Last night I went to the BlackBerry cite to "update" and I downgraded to the last 4.7 OS, and the battery use seemed to return to "normal."  BB's are power hogs and Verizon's claim of 5 hours talk time or two weeks standby is classic puffing. With 5 OS, the battery was literally draining before my eyes.  It would drop 5-10% every 30 minutes to an hour with no applications running, almost as bad as a laptop that is not plugged in.  Turning off the bluetooth radio did not seem to help much.

The BB cite did not offer 9630 OS 5.0.0.419 as an upgrade option.  The BB has to be plugged into the computer so the BB cite obviously read the PIN and it knows right away that it is dealing with a Verizon phone.  The update cite seems to act like an online Desktop Manager.  I did download the MTS Mobility OS, but I don't think it was "legal" because it asked whether I was a MTS Mobility subscriber.  I am not an IT person, but my hunch is that there is some kind of proprietary software on the the MTS OS that I don't think would be compatible with a Verizon subscribed Tour.  Wiping the BB clean before installation may make it compatible, but what happans when the backed up Verizon software is re-installed along with the installed MTS software?

My work BB, 8703e, is ancient by 21st Century standards, but my employer has never updated its OS and it works fine.  It uses the Enterprise Server.  If an enterprise user does not feel a burning need to update the OS, then why should an ordinary user update the OS?  I like the new OS features, but the excessive power use makes the phone impractical for travel use away from a outlet. 

New Contributor
My Device: Tour

So I have wiped my OS...and now the application loader is prompting me to choose the applications to be installed or removed...and there's nothing I can select or that it says is acceptable!

Any suggestions!

New Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Maxis

you need to uninstall all other blackberry os version first..

assuming you have 4.7 version & 5.0 version

go to control panel.. remove all blackberry os.. but not the blackberry desktop..

reboot to make it clean... install the choosen blackberry os..

after that, you can try to used the loader again..