Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 8830 WORLD EDITION

Voice Activated Dialing for Names

I can not get the Voice Activated Dialing to recognize the names in my contacts. How do I set the names in my contact list to be recognized by Voice Activated Dialing? The VAD reconizes Numbers ( Call "800-234-5678"), but, I have not found the method to reconize names (Call "Robert", etc). I am using a Pearl 8130.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold

Re: Voice Activated Dialing for Names

Mine doesnt recognise my daughters name. Kinda annoying. Not sure how to work it properly as I have never used it before.
Contributor

YOU'RE LUCKY, I AM STILL TRYING TO FIND THE METHOD TO GET VAD NAMES INTO MY PEARL 8130.  THEN, MY ONLY PROBLEM WILL BE IF IT RECOGNIZES THEM. 

I can not find a "Do you want to set a voice tag to this number?" or any way to attach a Voice Name to a number. So I can just say " Call Robert" and the phone will dial it. That is the purpose of my search.

Contributor

I found the solution. It is with the Pronounciation of the Name; because I have French, Greek, British and Canadian names in my list.  The voice recognition was quite baffled. I edited my adress book with some nicknames and it worked.

I would suggest that you try a nickname for your daughter. Something that is easy for voice recognition developed in Waterloo Ontario to understand.

I greatly preferred the system my other Cell had (Samsung SPH T-100 circa 2002), when I entered a name in the address book, it would ask if I wanted to add a voice tag.  Then, in my own voice, with my own pronounciation, I would say the name.  The CELL would store my pronounciation of the name as a tag. If the guys in Waterloo are reading this, if you use this idea, I want a free Balckberry.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

This sounds like a good solution, but it doesn't always work. Is there no other way to get voice recognition to work? No secret settings somewhere? Anywhere? I love this phone, but this feature is lousy when you're driving 110 km/hr on a highway and trying to use your hands-free bluetooth earpiece to make a call, but don't know the number, just the name, and the darned phone won't recognize your command.