Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Voice adapt

I just traded out my Nokia flip phone for a Curve, and I'm trying to tie my voice to my address book numbers for Voice Dialing.  The installed, standard technology is incredibly bad - not only does "Call Nancy cell" result in something other than, usually, when the name is repeated, it is in fact unintelligible.  So, I found Adapt digits, which works fine, but can't find a Adapat Voice or Words or Something.  My Nokia let me say just "nancy cell", repeated it back to me in my own voice (since I had tied the name with the number in my own voice), and dialed the number.  Simple.  Can my Curve handle that?
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Voice adapt

Hi and welcome to the forums!

First on the curve you have some options you can set regarding voice dialing

go to options voice dialing and you can set the sensitivity audio prompts ect.

Also, if you use just first names (I used to) it's not as accurate. Once I changed to full names t worked great.

If your asking for voice recognition for dialing Vlingo is good. It takes a while to learn you patterns, but it dials,

you can dictate emails, etc. You can tell it to Google, Yahoo, any major browser and it will place the words to search the browser you select. Oh by the way, it's FREE

Does this help?

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I

I was just thinking, this is not a real common complaint on the forums here. If the voice dialing is that bad on the curve, and you just got it, why not return it. Buying or getting an app may get you voice dialing, but maybe it's a symptom of a bad microphone or a software bug.

I think I'd take it back.

JMHO

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Thanks for your help so quickly.  OK, I'll check out the sensitivity and the possible bad mic.  The Vlingo sounds great - you are indicating it can substitute for the installed vr sw, so I'll figure it out.  Again, thanks.
Guru I

If this has given what you need, please resolve the issue by using the options Over the Kudos star. As the originator

you are the only one that can. Others can find resolved data easier.

Thanks!

New Contributor

I experience the same problems concerning recognizing my voice.

I do not come from Canada and I have an accent. This turns out to be a serious issue.

Even in my native language it is difficult to use the "2008 VoiceSignal" version which is available with OS 4.5.

I did install my native language as well, but I prefer English, since I live here and no I do not have a speech problem.

I used to have a Nokia as well and the voice recognition was very easily solved by letting the user record their own voice.

Vlingo appears to be a possible solution, but it needs to connect to a server and you get dinged ($$) every time you say a command.

It also does not allow you to record your own commands.

The solution would indeed have to be that someone designs a voice recognition application that allows you to record your own voice.

It will take a little time to record all the commands you want, so a combination with the option with Vlingo (it improves recognition over time) and recording it yourself is the way for me to go.

Highlighted
Guru I

Hi dramquartz,

I have run the Vlingo software for at least 5 months and have not been charged a dime.

In fact, I have been upgraded twice, also with no charge.

Thanks