Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

WHAT PHONES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA 64 BIT

Hey Everyone,

I've been getting so many conflicting answers from all over the web - so was hoping for some clear answers to help me see if a Blackberry is for me!!!

I work on 64-bit vista, over 4gb of RAM - I currently have a palm that isn't c0ompatible so desperate to get it right this time!!!

The other thing that confuses me (I am a girl remember..LOL) is that often its saying about the blackberry software - but not the actual phone?!?!?!

PLEASSSSSSEEEEEEE HELP

Cheers

g

x

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: WHAT PHONES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA 64 BIT

[ Edited ]

It is not about Blackberry and Vista compatibility. It is about compatibility of Blackberry Desktop Manager and your Vista.

If your Blackberry Desktop Manager can be installed and run on your Vista - there should not be problems.

Are there problems with Blackberry Desktop Manager and your Vista 64-bit ?

It should run ok as it is shown on system requirements page of Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Message Edited by tbilisoft on 12-12-2008 06:37 AM
New Contributor

thanks that helps.... but the trouble is i do not really want to buy a blackberry and then find it wont work!!!

silly way round to do things really.

if any one has any further advice... please let me know!!

g

Developer

[ Edited ]

Research In Motion declares that Blackberry Desktop Manager runs on Windows Vista 64-bit.

Wireless provider give you warranty for the device.

Vista cannot harm your Blackberry device.

And Blackberry device cannot damage your Vista.

If you run the most recent Blackberry Desktop Manager with a working blackberry device  there should not be problems.

Nobody can give you 100% that a particular device will work perfectly. There are devices with defects inside.

But you'll get a warranty from wireless provider. And you can replace the device if it is necessary.

What kind of advice do you need ?

Message Edited by tbilisoft on 12-12-2008 01:03 PM
New Contributor

well it seems silly that all over the web people are saying its not compatible with 64 bit - but then on the blackberry site it says it can.... there is no clear answer to this question.

if i went out and upgraded to a pearl.... i have no idea if it would actually work with my computer... therefore for another 18months i will be stuck with something that i cannot even use properly.

so i suppose in closure i want someone who uses 64-bit vista and a blackberry and whatever version of blackberry software to tell me what model's they are using.

All this "should work" and "no reason it shouldnt work" doesnt fill me with confidence

cheers

g

Developer

I understand your reasons.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit with 4gb, and I can assure you that the blackberry and the desktop manager will work. My Curve that I had worked, my current Bold works and my sisters pearl works. They all sync fine. I have device manager 4.7

Hope that helps.

Message Edited by macallik on 12-23-2008 04:08 PM
BB 9810
BB10 Alpha
BB Playbook
My Device: Model 9000 "Bold"

I'm new to this thread.

I wonder if the desktop mgmt s/w works with not only "ultimate," but "home premium" as well?  What does your sister use?  The reason I ask is because I have a vista 64-bit "home premium" and I want to buy the Bold, but read somewhere either in the desktop mgmt s/w user guide or the BB website that the CALENDAR IS UNABLE TO SYNCH? with vista 64-bit OS.  Unfortunately, I cannot buy the Bold if the calendar is unable to synch with my 64-bit home premium. 

Tnx for your advise...it is very useful and helpful.

Contributor

I did just get a new Vista 64 bit system and installed DM 4.7 on it. I followed all the instructuctions as usual for setting up the phone and halfway through set up it froze the entire system. Which wouldnt have been such a big problem, but it froze the Blackberry phone as well. Even after pulling the battery and resetting the device, it is still stuck with an hourglass and cannot use the phone.

I'll get back to you if I can make my BB work with 64 bit Vista.

Contributor

It wiped out all my records on my BB, calendar, contacts everything.Treated the new DM and old BB as totally new and started with a clean slate. Unfortunately all that data is unrecoverable because the Outlook where all that data was stored was lost last week when the hard drive failed, so now everyhting is lost for good.  I was hoping the BB would download all my contact information to my new computer insted it deleted everything on my BB.  Perfect. Smiley Mad