Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Wanted - Free video converter for Blackberry Storm

Looking for a free (not trial) video converter.  Is there anything?  What do you have?
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Wanted - Free video converter for Blackberry Storm

[ Edited ]

I've used a progam called Handbrake that was pretty decent.  It's free, and open source.  Note that this program will not allow you to copy from copyrighted DVDs though.  You can pair this with a program called DVD43 if you like (doesn't work with Vista 64-bit though), but use DVD43 for personal use only and at your own risk.

Those are my suggestions.

Message Edited by Krypto on 05-24-2009 07:04 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500

You can use media manager available through your BlackBerry desktop manager software to convert video files on your BlackBerry Storm Smiley Happy

Elite I

Good call Crackberry!  I never use the media manager, so I completely forgot that it has this capability.  Smiley Happy

I still prefer Handbrake for speed reasons, but that's just a matter of personal preference. Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

And, when you do conversions, keep in mind the capabilities of the device you are targeting:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05482&slic...

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05419&slic...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

akmeffmpeg (does not work well for Storm resolution if your video is 4:3)
Handbrake
MediaCoder.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Krypto--The DVD43 and HandBrake combination works very well for me too. And, it's all free software. It's good to see that you like this combination as well. Thanks-Ken B.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Downloads: QuickPull, AppWorld, Roblock, TalkLock, Viigo, Bible, eBay, Google Maps, YouMail
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Crackberry wrote:

You can use media manager available through your BlackBerry desktop manager software to convert video files on your BlackBerry Storm Smiley Happy

When you say "media manager" do you mean Roxio Media Manager? 

My desktop manager has media manager grayed out, I can't use it.

Message Edited by vinnie on 05-26-2009 01:53 PM
New Contributor

Krypto wrote:

I've used a progam called Handbrake that was pretty decent.  It's free, and open source.  Note that this program will not allow you to copy from copyrighted DVDs though.  You can pair this with a program called DVD43 if you like (doesn't work with Vista 64-bit though), but use DVD43 for personal use only and at your own risk.

Those are my suggestions.

Message Edited by Krypto on 05-24-2009 07:04 PM

Thanks Krypto.  I did use it.   Very very slow, but did work.

Trying to get media manager working.

Elite I

Hey vinnie, I've worked with a few video converters and they're all slow.  I remember that when I used to convert a movie for my Samsung P2, it took forever.  I think converting Pirates of the Carribean took 3-4 hours.  I can most definitely deal with the speeds for Handbrake Smiley Happy.

As to the Roxio Media Manager, ensure you actually have it installed - a lot of people do the install of the Desktop Manager without the Media Manager.  Smiley Happy