Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Water damage sticker

Hello,

I recently purchased the Curve, only to wake up one morning and it would not turn on. I took the battery out and did all the usual things but no joy. I took it back to where I bought it who sent ot to blackberry, they worked on it and sent it back saying it has water damage. I can not stress enough how this phone has not been near any water at all.

Does anyone know how I should proceed with this as I am 5 weeks in to a 2 year contract and have no phone !

Please help.

Regards

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Water damage sticker

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Well, sadly, your support vehicle is your carrier...they provide front line support for BBs. Best advice is to plead your case with them, preferably with a manager rather than a first line tech. But, they are in control, so you will need to be very convincing.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike and WelcSmiley Happyme to the cSmiley Happymmunity suppSmiley Happyrt fSmiley Happyrums-

sgardne is exactly right.  Plead your case - 5 weeks in you would think they would have worked with you.   Do you keep it in the bathroom when you shower?   Did you take out insurance. I never believed in insurance on cell phones until I got my BlackBerry.; 

Message Edited by cathlabnurse on 09-07-2009 03:47 PM

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I just had the exact same thing happen to me.  I bought the phone five weeks ago, it worked fine, I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning none of the keys worked.  It hasn't been anywhere near water, not even in the bathroom when I shower.  Did you end uyp getting a new one?
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

hi jenny - WelcSmiley Happyme to the cSmiley Happymmunity suppSmiley Happyrt fSmiley Happyrums - did you have insurance on yours ?

Keep us posted on both of your outcomes with your carriers..

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

when "they" say it has water damage, did you ask;

what is it? what has water damage, the blackberry device or the battery?

Did the color of the square/rectangular sticker on the housing underneath the battery turn pink or red?

Have you tried testing device to see if it comes up with another battery?

If you had sim cards, I would ask, have you tried your sim card in other phone just to rule out possible contribution?

Message Edited by Wide on 09-14-2009 12:42 PM
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: o2

hello!

i cant believe this, i have exactly the same problem, i've had my blackberry for about 10 months now and woke up one morning to an error message uncaught jave exception...  anyway took it to repair and surprise surprise it came back with 'water damage'  i stress, this phone has never been in or near  water nor in the shower with me.  my carriers suggestion?  it could be condensation from the bad weather we've had in england!  LOL!!  or from where i may have answered the phone i the rain.  i've never heard so much rubbish before, i've had hundreds of phones and now regret getting the blackberry because if this problem.  it must be a manufacturers default but as if blackberry are going to replace hundreds of phones and my carriers wont replace my phone.  now i have blackberry desktop manager with all my info yet no blackberry to retrieve the info.  BLACKBERRY, SORT THIS PROBLEM OUT!!!!

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Telus

I have a Blackberry with the same type of problem. I sent it in and the report said "Corrision damage as a result of  liquid intrusion has rendered your blackberry unrepairable.  Your device is being returned unrepaired.

"Thank you for choosing Blackberry"

Carrier said that I spilled some type of liquid on it, which has never happened.  This phone has never

been close to any liquid.

It is very convenient that corrosion is not covered in warranty.

The carrier said the litmus paper was red indicating liquid.  Yet there was no sign of any liquid on the outside of the phone.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

claudio86 wrote:
  BLACKBERRY, SORT THIS PROBLEM OUT!!!!

If you are looking to talk with RIM, this is the wrong place my friend.

But regardless of that. If the LDI is activated on any mobile device, the warranty is void. there is no grey area, its very black and white. same if the LDI has been removed.

This is the same for every single phone manufacturer, not just RIM.

So I hope you have phone insurance as that would be the only way to get a replacement if your carrier said that the LDI was activated.

cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Telus

Interesting comments. The issues identified regarding several models of BB are similar to the issues with my BB Curve. Pretty much identical to the issues identified with the various models. When I took the phone into the place of purchase they looked at the LDI and I clearly heard the staff say to the manager that there was no indication of water damage. Simple fact is they were right. The phone has not been exposed to water. They did some work on it at the store and said they had fixed it. Two days after this the same issues occurred. They then sent it away for repair. Guess what, the repair is saying water damage. How convenient. Now as a result of this the warranty is void and the $75.oo extended coverage is also void. After getting rather upset with the carrier I came home to do some research on the internet to find out what it was the staff first looked at when they took the battery out which I have figured out as the (LDI) and of course I have found several forums on this very issue regarding water damage, diagnostics and comments stating that their phone keys are not functioning, random script showing on the screen, and the screen freezing, along with the familiar comment my phone has never been exposed to water? As a result of this information re the LDI I removed the battery on the loner phone that they gave me which I had to put down $150.00 deposit for. Guess what, the LDI indicates water damage? In my case regarding my own phone the LDI did not indicate this. Needless to say I am not happy with my carrier or with the BB. They state oh well the water damage is not necessarily obvious at the store.

Not a happy camper!