10-06-2010 05:49 AM
Hi, My black berry 8520 fell into and was completely submerged in water. I took it out with in the minute that it fell. At first it was acting weird but I took it apart and then held it over some dry air for about 20 mins and it was back to normal. Then I made the mistake of putting the battery back in and using it for the rest of the day. I even plugged it into my laptop to be charged. In the afternoon all of my button stopped working. Someone told me to put it in uncooked rice in a sealed container and keep it there for the next 24 hours or so. Am wondering if there is any hope of it ever working again.
Can someone leet me know. Thank you.
10-06-2010 07:37 AM
Yes, there is a chance it will work again, and of course powering it up and using it for a day likely didn't help any as water + electricity = disaster.
There's a chance you can revive it.
1. Remove the battery immediately!! Do not attempt to turn on your BlackBerry.
2. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days* (see below)
3. DO NOT "check it each day" by placing the battery in. Leave it be to dry completely. This takes time. Replacing the battery to check it can only damage it more (moisture + electrical current = disaster).
3. If the device is warm after the drying period, allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the battery back in.
*Suggestions on drying your BlackBerry in a warm place (open, with the battery out):
- Place the BB in a container of dry UNcooked rice, and then you might also place it in any of the locations mentioned below.
- On top of any dry heat emitting electronic component: TV cabinet or CRT, LCD, cable TV/Satellite converter box or plasma monitor
- On the dashboard of your car on a sunny day
PIN: C0001B7B4 Display/Scan Bar Code
PIN: C0005A9AA Display/Scan Bar Code