Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Weird problem with 8520

[ Edited ]

Hi...I'm new to the Forums and I am having a strange problem with my BB 8520. I have it on OS .681 which is fine - however, the power button & the power icon do not work to shut the phone down. I also can't hang up calls and it hangs on the call screen (I don't have an End Call option in the Menu). The power button does, however, return to the Home Screen when in an app or something. I've tried EVERYTHING possible to fix this - resets, battery pulls, wipes, reloading software (different versions as well)...I cannot figure it out...Any ideas or fixes ?? Please help!

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Weird problem with 8520

Hey TraceeGirl,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

Can you provide the full software version you're running?  Type myver in a message to get this information.  Since a clean reload has been completed with different versions and the issue has not been fixed, I would suggest contacting your network service provider for repair/exchange options.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8520

Same problem here!
I Was on version .681
and I had an Exception msg 4 >= 4 οn startup.
Decided to upgrade to .1067 and then the problems OP describes appeared...
Another symptom I have is that after I lock the phone there is no " Press X to unlock" msg anymore. Screen is always black until I unlock.
Now I downgraded to .681 again but nothing is fixed.
New Contributor
My Device: Edge 8520
My Carrier: Phone Coop

Yes, I have exactly the same symptoms (can't hang up a call, can't power down with red button or from the main menu, dark screen when using locked keyboard) after upgrading to .681. Could it be something to do with performing an upgrade regardless of what version is being installed? Perhaps switching off is disabled by the upgrade software to prevent partial installation and it isn't being re-enabled?

New Contributor
My Device: 8520

Under the Apps tab in DM, it shows some system files are missing.
Tried to flash from there too, but same result. Even tried to downgrade to 4.xx but phone was booting with errors again.
I think maybe the HARDWARE phone nand (or partition or whatever BB is using) is/was damaged and the update just made it worse. Dunno. RIP?
New Contributor
My Device: Edge 8520
My Carrier: Phone Coop

Yes, I tried the same thing - downgrading to the version 4 given in the list - with the same "app error" result when the phone tries to re-boot. Now I find that I can't re-install the version 5 because it thinks that I don't have a Blackberry subscription. This might be because I hadn't finished the configuration - service books etc - at the point when I noticed that the hang-up button didn't work but I'm not at all sure. After spending nearly an entire day trying to perform this upgrade I'm starting to lose faith in the system. I've put my SIM card into a faithful old Nokia phone which seems to be indestructible.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

Well, what I did to solve the problem - I connected the phone to the PC with the BATTERY OUT - then I reloaded a fresh install of the software. When it reboots a battery with a red cross on it comes up - that's when I re-inserted the battery. I just let it fully boot up from there and now it works properly. Smiley Happy Hope that solution helps someone else.