Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What does a BB copy from Outlook?

I have copied the contacts in the contact list. RIM said that BB does not support distribution lists from Outlook at this time - and that's okay. But how can we get our corporate e-mail list onto the BB?

Do I really have to create a corporate contact list and add these e-mails one by one, and then sync the new contact list? There are hundreds of them! >_<

We just want the address book that we use on Outlook to work on the BB. Is this possible?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: What does a BB copy from Outlook?

Well if its in your outlook you can use the desktop manager to sync up, if you are on a blackberry enterprise server, you can get the look up option, but you can not pull your entire corporate GAL to your blackberry.  The reason behind this is some companies have very large GAL's

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Contributor

I believe it is the GAL that needs to be pulled down for use. And this particular BB is being used by the president of our company, who needs and uses the GAL.

So, if I understand right, we need to create a contact list based on our GAL to sync with the BB? No other way to do it?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've almost found a workaround, I think... But I'm still falling short. Can you help me out?

In Access, I create a new contacts style list (File > New Folder > [contains contact items option selected] > Name "Staff GAL" ) for my boss, and it sticks.

Here's my trouble: I can open the address book, and see the GAL. I now want to add those into my new "Staff GAL" contact list. The option I have in that little address book window (Tools > Address Book) only has the option for "Add to Contacts." Can't do that for my boss, because her default contacts list is full of people who shouldn't be merged with the the GAL people.

How do I take address book entires and add them all to a contact list in one fell swoop? Even if I have to add them one-by-one, I still need to "Add to Staff GAL" and not "Add to Contacts."

Message Edited by etaylor on 12-04-2008 05:40 PM
Contributor

*shameful bump*
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Found this fix, but it doesn' work:

POTENTIAL FIX wrote:

To create a Global subfolder inside the Contacts folder:

1. Open Outlook.
  2. Select the Contacts folder located in your mailbox folder list.
  3. On the File menu, select New > Folder.
  4. Name the new folder Global.

Import the Contacts from the GAL onto your Handheld

Complete the following steps:

1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and connect your handheld to your computer.
  2. Double-click the Backup and Restore
    icon.
  3. Click Advanced. The Backup and Restore window appears.
  4. In the Handheld Databases list box, select the Address Book.
  5. Click the backup button (the top arrow). The Address Book is copied to the Desktop File Databases list box.
  6. In the Desktop File Databases list box, select Address Book.
  7. In the File menu, select Import > Addresses. The Address Book Import window appears listing the contacts stored in the GAL. [ERIC: This is where the process fails. I have "open" "close" "save" and "save as." There is no import option in this window. I have to believe this is a fix for an older version that actually had the option in it. Or have I failed in reading comprehension somewhere??]
  8. While pressing the CTRL key, select the contacts you want imported to your handheld.
  9. Click Import. The selected contacts are added to the import list.
  10. When you have finished selecting the contacts, click OK.
  11. In the Desktop File Databases list box, select Address Book.
  12. Click the restore button (the bottom arrow).
  13. In the Warning window, click OK. The contacts are imported to your handheld.
  14. Click Close.
  15. If the Save Changes dialog box appears, click Yes inside the dialog box to save changes to your backup file
  16. Click Close.

Configure the Global Folder as the Default Address Book Folder

1. In desktop manager, double-click the Intellisync icon.
  2. Click Configure PIM.
  3. Verify the Address Book is already selected and click Choose.
  4. Make sure MS Outlook is selected as the translator and click Browse.
  5. Locate and select the Global folder created in “Task 1”. The Global folder is located inside the Contacts folder.
  6. Click Add.
  7. From the Selected Folder(s) list, select the Global folder.
  8. Click Default.
  9. If the Note dialog box appears, click OK.
  10. Click OK > OK > OK to return to the Intellisync window.

Synchronize Your Handheld with the Global Folder

1. In the Intellisync window, click Synchronize Now.
  2. When the Confirm Address Book Edits dialog box appears, click Accept. The GAL contacts are copied from your handheld’s address book to the Global folder. Note: Because the GAL contacts copied to the Global folder during synchronization, the GAL contacts will not be mixed with the contacts in your Contacts folder during future synchronizations.

Reconfigure the Contacts Folder as the Default Address Book Folder

1. In the Intellisync window, click Configure PIM. [ERIC: I also haven't been able to find any options for something called "Intellisync." Am I just looking in the wrong place for these things?]
  2. Verify the Address Book is already selected and click Choose.
  3. From the Selected Folder(s) list, select the Contacts folder.
  4. Click Default.
  5. If the Note dialog box appears, click OK.
  6. Click OK > OK > OK to return to the Intellisync window.
  7. Click Close.

Message Edited by etaylor on 12-05-2008 05:04 PM
Contributor

One last bump, I guess... =\