Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Mobily

What is missing in OS 5.0 ??

Hello Folks,

I updated my BB into 5.0 after struggling for 8 months with 4.6 .. For the whole period i was regretting why i bought one (Definetly because of BBM Smiley Tongue ).

Once I updated into 5.0 things changed. I fell in love with it . it is cuter, with richer features , and more stable. It looks nicer and more pleasure to use (although it still needs improvments =) )

Still , it misses some important features which can add more profissional way when using the device. In my opinion , OS 5 still misses :

* More interaction between profiles and Contact groups : Profiles must be more intergrated with contacts. I.E When i am in work , I am using Vibration only mode. All the calls will be vibrating. I wanna make business group only rings when i am using vibrate only profile . When going to sleep, I wanna only my fiancee to rings while all other contacts silent. Now in OS 5 , Only 'Active profile' Option is there . So my clients either they will rings for all profiles (Even while sleeping) or it will follow the profile (and vibrate only) . Same applies for other groups .

This is one reason why i hate my curve! Either I get disturb in my sleep by everyone , or to be hated by my girl because i did not answer her.

* Same above comment applies for BBM , Some BBM contacts sends termodous number of BC , this need to be silent and keep others rings normally. I thought i could do this by assigning PIN to Contact and then customize the rings, But it is only applicable for phone calls and SMS messages and not instant messages.

*I am living in middle east,  My weekend is on Thursday and Friday. In Alarm clock , it has only On, Weekend, And Off options . On will ring everyday (waking up at 5:30 AM in my weekend piss me off) . Weekend option will switch off the alarm in Sat and Sun !! not applicable as well . I suggest to add the option of choosing weekend days as other mobile phones offers . It will be easer to handle the alarm instead of using the calander its complications.

*SMS in the new format are more complicated. I can not send empty SMS , Further more SMS messages appears in BBM !! i think it should only appears in messages app not BBM app.

This is what i got till now .. But despite of these suggestions, We appreciate the work done for OS 5.0 Specially vibrating and ringing at the same time Smiley Very Happy

In your opinion , Share with us what do u like to be added in the next version of OS ? OS 5.2 for example Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: What is missing in OS 5.0 ??

While you're right about the ring issue, you've missed an important new feature of OS 5!

You are correct in that the single built in alarm in the Clock Application has only On, Off, and Weekdays (which are Western Monday through Friday).  However, alarms can now be set in the Calendar application as well, and when you (unintuitively) choose Weekly, you have the option of choosing which days of the week the alarm will ring, so you can select to have the alarm go off Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Fact is, I'm having an issue with the Clock's alarm which apparently got set and put into my calendar during one of my OS Upgrades, and is no longer visible in the calendar, and can't be adjusted in either the Calendar application or the Clock Application!  I'll never use the Clock's alarm again.

Jerry
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I thnk you failed to say what model device you're using.

You can create as many new proviles as you desire. Name one WORK, and in it set those business contacts an exception to that profile so they will ring through. Same for nighttime, create a SLEEP profile, with exeptions to those callers you would want to ringt through.

Same for BBM Messages.

You can't change the properties of the "weekend", sorry. Seems that would be a simple option to add.

Your SMS in the BBM folder might be disabled, according to device model and OS you have. Please let us know that.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hello dear Jerry,

Now i am using this calander alarm although i feels that sometimes it become faulty lol or maybe my sleep become so heavy so i cant even hear the ring ...

And your alarm seems to have a bug .. u may have the option to clear all the calander entries which may solve this "Hopefully".

Thanks for your contrupution Smiley Happy

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello dear ,

My device is 8900 "which is wirtten below my avatar Smiley Tongue " . Anyway , This solution can not be implemented . in OS 4.6 , there were exception option which can be assigned to contacts. But even in that OS , i could not implemente that, couse exceptions can not work for one specific profile .. once u do an exception , it will be operated in all profiles wheather u want it to or not Smiley Happy ..

In  OS 5 it is different , i can not see exceptions, but i can see option "Set contact alerts" which works as exceptions , and have the same issue , it can not be assigned to specific profile .

Thanks for ur suggestions,

If anyone have a trick to go around this i will be so appreciate to him Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Actually I found the "bug".  Although there is only one general display "option" for what one would assume is all calendars for Alarms to be displayed, only Alarms from the default calendar (Options -> Advanced Options -> Default Services) is displayed, even when displaying all calendars.

I have five BIS Email addresses, and all have Calendars associated with them, and somehow - I assume during an OS Upgrade? - the alarm in question got assigned to one of my BIS calendars.  My BES calendar is the default calendar, although by default I view all calendars.

When I viewed the individual calendars, I found all sorts of alarms burried in them, and was able to clear them all.  Still, I don't think I'll ever use the Clock application's alarm again as there's no neeed.

Jerry
New Contributor

I am glad to hear that u solve your problem Smiley Happy

At least this topic is being useful and you got benifit Smiley Very Happy

Hopefully i will found "My bug" as well and could solve above problem Smiley Wink

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

[ Edited ]

ASeeR wrote:

My device is 8900 "which is wirtten below my avatar Smiley Tongue " . Anyway ,

You can see your model #, I can't. You have to change your privacy settings in this forum to make that visible to all.

Don't assume everthying. If I ask what device you have, it's obviously for a reason. Smiley Happy

As far as creating new profiles, you can do it. Keep trying, or be VERY specific about where you are not able to do this.

I'd be glad to help.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Curve 8950

Hello,

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to customize a profile for the certain contact to ring/buzz a different sound?