Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What "free" apps actually work WITHOUT the data plan over wifi??

Hi guys and gals,

Thanks to these forums I got the wifi working (sort of). I can connect to my linksys router no problem, surf da web etc...

Tmobile and or BB don't seem to want people to actually use one of the main features of the smartphones true WiFi. Call me crazy, but if they did, the browser config settings would be in the manual or at least on their web site. Also, even though there are a ton of free 3rd party apps out there for most all BB's, they seem to need a data plan active in order to load. Bizzare.

Why should it matter how I'm connected to the internet? As long as there is a connection, seems like these apps should work. As they would with any laptop with WiFi. I've allowed all the permissions for each app (google maps, Vlingo, etc), but they still say I need a data plan. I've also changed the APN setting from Tmobile to my router. I've searched all over this forum and Howard Forums...to no avail.

Is this just some marketing ploy by BlackBerry or Tmobile? One of the HUGE selling points for getting my 8220 was it had true WiFi. It seems as if it is a very limited WiFi...at best...web surfing only. Either Tmobile or BB seem to not want people to be able to fully utilize the WiFi unless you have a data plan. Are there any additional hidden settings I need to change in order for these free apps to work and not need an official data plan from my carrier??

If there is not, I would love to see something in the "small print" of the terms and conditions saying that the WiFi of these phones don't fully allow free apps to work without paying extra. If I can't find an official "sorry we told ya so", then I would think I have every right to a full refund for my little 8220. Maybe a false advertising type issue?

Love to hear what you guys think. I love this Pearl Flip and would be really bummed if this is true.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post Smiley Happy

Scott

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: What "free" apps actually work WITHOUT the data plan over wifi??

What "free" apps actually work WITHOUT the data plan over wifi??

Sorry but the answer is practiaclly none if it requires any data.

At least I have knot heard of any yet.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Possibly you're not understanding what I'm asking. I got this phone pretty much for the sole reason that it had WiFi, and the salesman specifically told me that a data plan would not be needed to do everything I wanted to, if I have a WiFi connection available. I am able to connect to my wireless router no problem (after I changed the default browser config), but what is becoming aparent to me is that there are very few third party apps that work without the data plan, even though I am connected to the internet via WiFi. It's obvious that there is some sort of block in place by BB that does not allow third party apps to work unless you have that data plan. Take for instance Google maps mini, even though I'm connected via WiFi to the net, it stops during the loading screen and says I need a data plan and it can't find a connection. Odd...since I do have a connection and can surf the web etc. Same goes with Vlingo and several other apps.

I'm not bashing RIM, but it does semm obvious that they are trying to get you to buy the data plan even though you might already be connected to the web via WiFi. From a buisness perspective I understand, but from a consumer perspective, it's kind of a bummer as I would love to be able to use all these apps. I would even love to be able to purchase apps from the official app store.

For instance...you can't even download the official App Store application, unless you have a data plan even though you can connect to the internet over WiFi.

Does this make sense now?

Anyone have any ideas? Or is it a requirment to purchase the data plan to run most of these third party apps?

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

As far as I know it is required to have data plan to utilize wi-fi features.

The same situation I met long time ago. I tried to utilize GPS features and I had data plan, but I was neither on BIS nor BES.

GPS did not work.

I clarified the situation and released that there is no true GPS. All GPS packets are routing via wireless operators facilities and in case wireless operator does not support this feature it is not possible to use GPS.

I was able to use Google Maps, but it is less accurate and it does not use GPS sattelites, it uses wireless facility coordinates to get my location.

New Contributor

Here is a good one:

http://www.youversion.com/mobile

New Contributor

Getting Blackberry AppWorld to download and install on a Blackberry is easy; getting it to RUN isn't going to happen unless you have a data plan.  I used Opera Mini 4.2 to type in the url for the download link, then installed from the email received.  click the trackball in the AppWorld link still produces a "403" error - "GET A DATA PLAN"..  However, you can just type the url for the AppWorld site itself into Opera , save the web site as a favorite and buy your apps from it that way.  You still have to have a PayPal account, but that's easy enough if you have a credit card and an email address.  Most third party apps that have a mobile url can be accessed that way - you just have to do without a separate icon and work from within Opera, but that's easy enough.  I currently have Weather Eye, BBC Mobile, Amazon.com, BBTetris, MobyQuote, MoboPocket Reader, Poynt, Blackstar, several bible appsTrapster, Freebooks, Google Maps, plus a few games other than BBTetris, all of which work well.  I monitor my usage every week and, so far, no data usage or charges show , period! - I'm with Telus BTW and, yes, they DO know about this.  As a side issue, I've tried the Beta 5 edition of opera - it has a glitzy interface, but the install doesn't work like a proper upgrade, i.e., it doesn't pick up the settings & other favorites, so I've uninstalled until the full version is ready.

Regards,   Glen

Hoggles has a very authentic point. Applications should work, regardless of the conduit for data. It is coming hoping on the carrier data plan or over the Wi fi , should not matter. We should write to our carrier. They should either make it clear before selling the phone, or let us able to use the free and third party applications over the wifi. Bill
New Contributor

Put the blame on your service provider (I'm with Telus).  Through a long and dreary experimentation session, I got BlackberryApp World installed AND Viigo and one or two others.  App World still doesn't work, as the default browser is Telus and they don't allow a change to another default browser such as Opera Mini  or Bolt and the internal code on the program itself looks to open the default browser, end of story.  You can, however,  run most programs that have a mobile web site just by opening them in Opera (or Bolt et c.)and running them from the mobile site.  I got a confirmation of this, BTW, from a customer service rep at Telus.  It seems that they disallow any app that opens from a desktop icon and , at least initially, uses local code from a BB.  If the icon opens the app by using an internal link to access a remote web site, the app operates normally.

For now, I routinely open opera and access most of the apps I need, e.g. "Weather Eye", by accessing their links in my favourites.

As for free apps, there are a lot of them out there, but also a lot that are really "trials" and shouldn't be classified as free apps.  I have found that, for my own uses, the best apps usually cost something, however small it may be.  BB App World runs just fine from an Opera favourite link, and I already have a PayPal account.  The big plus there is that I know the apps have all been tested and, with certain exceptions, work very well.

One final and VERY interesting note; I keep careful track of the time spent online and have yet to see any chargeable data time on my account.  My personal feeling is that Telus does know about this and allows it "sub rosa" just to keep us thinking we're outsmarting THEM!!

I agree, I want my money back too.  Whats the point have having so much potential and "wifi" if you can't use it without a data plan.

Anyone know, will getting a thrid party bes that I can use over wifi solve the problem?  I was reading that iSkoot requires BES over wifi to work without a data plan.  I don't know if this is true or if it is why it would be true, but I'm wondering if thats a possible solution.  Does anyone know?

I can't get a data plan even if I wan't to.  The problem is I am living iin Argentina, and I cannot get a data plan until I have a national ID card, that will be about 2 years.  What do I do in the meantime, the wifi is basically useless?  Get a new phone?

My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: none yet

I just got an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8900 and have not yet decided on which provider I want to use.  So, I've spent considerable time trying to see what I can do over a WIFI connection and I have to say it isn't much.

I use a service called Toktumi for low cost ip phone service (a much better deal than Vonage) and I just tried to sign up to Beta test their WIFI app.  I just got an email from Toktumi indicating:

"To be clear, only the new iphone app will work over wifi.  Research in Motion prevents Wi-Fi access to applications on BlackBerry, so until they change that policy, we won't be able to enable Wi-Fi calling on BlackBerry.

The new app will still be very useful, with visual voicemail, universal call history, and remote access to many important settings.  If you still want to be a beta tester, let me know."

So, bottom line, it's RIM that appears to be preventing us from running the apps.  I'm now questioning if I even want to go the Blackberry route, since I'm not committed at this point.