Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Whatsapp over wifi on BlackBerry 9300

i have a blackberry 9300 with a typical bb contract etc, have bb services, internet, the whole thing. however, i am going abroad for 5 weeks, and will not want or need roaming (i have another phone with another sim card i use in that country). 

what i am wondering is, is there any chance, on my blackberry, to use whatsapp over wifi, while mobile services are off? if i try it here, the bb icon remains white which i suppose would not happen in another country (or it'd involve me paying -- unless i am mistaken and i can bbm over wifi only even abroad?). 

if i do that - mobile network off, wifi on, and whatsapp working -- that doesn't count as data roaming, does it? i don't need anything on my bb other than whatsapp while i'm abroad and i wouldn't want to pay the extortionate amount that is roaming charges.

thanks!

My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Whatsapp over wifi on BlackBerry 9300

Yes, you can do that. Turning network off and switching on Wifi and only whatsapp will work. I dont know about bbm!

kidyounot wrote:

i have a blackberry 9300 with a typical bb contract etc, have bb services, internet, the whole thing. however, i am going abroad for 5 weeks, and will not want or need roaming (i have another phone with another sim card i use in that country). 

what i am wondering is, is there any chance, on my blackberry, to use whatsapp over wifi, while mobile services are off? if i try it here, the bb icon remains white which i suppose would not happen in another country (or it'd involve me paying -- unless i am mistaken and i can bbm over wifi only even abroad?). 

if i do that - mobile network off, wifi on, and whatsapp working -- that doesn't count as data roaming, does it? i don't need anything on my bb other than whatsapp while i'm abroad and i wouldn't want to pay the extortionate amount that is roaming charges.

thanks!

And bbm you can use on normal network without additional charges.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Airtel

Re: Whatsapp over wifi on BlackBerry 9300

I want to keep my mobile network ON but mobile data services OFF. in that case whatsapp doesnt work over Wifi.

Any alternative?