Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9360
My Carrier: Vodafone India

Whatsapp running without BB Plan

I am using BB 9360 with a Vodafone connection. Recently I changed my number and since then I have noticed two changes that I have no explanations for.

1. I have not activated any new BB Plan in my new number yet ( hence it is showing as 'edge' instead of 'EDGE' when it is in 2g network mode ). Then I opened Whatsapp, which was previously installed in my old number because i had bb plan activated and downloaded whatsapp through BBWORLD. Then, it asked whether I have changed my number or not. I typed my new number in it and it started working. Same with WeChat. WeChat did not ask for any number change thing but it is working fine without BB Plan. 

Facebook for Blackberry app and BB World, push mails are not working

I was under the impression that all the apps that I downloaded from BBWorld won't work without BB PLAN.

Can Any one explain?

2. In my old number when I used to switch the Network Mode in Mobile Network option from 2g to 3g it showed like 3G. But with this new SIM card when i am doing the same thing SOS is coming and network bars are gone.Its not catching the 3g signal.

What can I do.?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Whatsapp running without BB Plan

The chat apps of which you speak work with a generic data plan and don't require BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) in order to function. I guess the data does not travel through BlackBerry's servers to be compressed and therefore any data plan will allow them to work. Certain functions on your phone, including Facebook, Twitter, BBM, push email, etc., require BIS and that's why they are not working on your  phone. Some apps also update themselves automatically to your new number; BBM is one of them and I suspect WeChat operates in a similar fashion and that's why you weren't asked to update your new number for that app.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.