Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

When plug charger into BB it no longer charges the phone; port is not connecting

I have a Blackberry 8100 model.  When I plug the charger into the Blackberry, the charging icon does not appear on the display and the phone is not charged.  If I wiggle the charger cable at the point of entry into the phone, sometimes it will connect and the phone will charge.  This occured with my first Blackberry to the point where the port connection actually came right out of the unit, still attached to the cable.  At that time, the phone was under warranty and my provider sent me a replacement phone.  Now the same thing is happening again. 

The phone is no longer under warranty and my provider says I have to buy a new phone.  However, the phone and all features are working fine, I just cannot charge the battery because of this problem with the charger port coming loose.  Any suggestions on how I can repair the port connection or otherwise correct this problem?

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: When plug charger into BB it no longer charges the phone; port is not connecting

Unless you got some mad sodering skills you not going to be able to repair it. You could get an external battery charger and take the battery out when you need to charge it.

Re: When plug charger into BB it no longer charges the phone; port is not connecting

This happened to me as well.  It's very frustrating.  I've had to just switch to an older, non-blackberry, phone until I can figure out a way to charge my battery.  Blackberry needs to design a sturdier phone.

*Sigh* this is also my second BB this has happened to. I just hope that my connector doesn't fall out like it did on my first phone...I've only had this new phone for about 3 months and yet again, am having trouble charging it. Come on BB get it together!

Come on BB is right. I got mine used, I was wondering what it can do. I love this thing. Then, the charger port wiggled and came out. Then I read up on it, and it happens to most models!!! I did not have much to lose, I thought.

I spent less then 15 dollars and soldered it, enhanced the hold with superglue at the bottom. It worked. I admit, that the 7100t has probably moreroom to work in on its board than the new ones.

Thanks for your postings guys, could not have done my research without it!

I got my charging port fixed at www.cellphonefixed.com  They are based out of Seattle, WA, and do repairs by mail for cheap all over the US.
New Contributor

THANK YOU!!  That is just the answer I was looking for, a way to fix the phone for good.

I also found out you can buy a separate external battery charger, so you can remove the battery from the phone and charge it in the charger.  I found this at seidio online.  Here is the link for a BlackBerry-compatible charger.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BD3%2DBCSI3BBX1%2DBK

My battery did not fit EXACTLY into the charging plate so I have to insert a spacer (folded-up paper) at the end to ensure the charging contacts remain connected while charging.  Not perfect, but it works.  However, I am definitely going to try cellphonefixed.com so I can return to charging it in my car. 

My Device: 8120
My Carrier: T-mobile

I'd love to open this phone up an solder it as well--would you please tell me how to open this phone up effectively and how to solder it?--clearly the desirable outcome is for the metal on the appropriate leads to be soldered to appropriate copper plates inside, right?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I'm patient, and $15 doesn't sound that bad of a sacrifice.

Thanks in advance.