Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Where are my contacts?

So I got a Torch a few months ago and I only recently noticed after trying to use an app that uses the contact info from my address book that very few of my contacts are actually there...The app I tried using was WhoIsIt, which worked great on my Tour, which is where I moved all of my contacts from. But now, only the email addresses synced to both of my emails and new contacts that I enter into my Torch show up...so even though I can see them in my address book, they are not there when I try to use an app. I've tried other apps that use contacts from my address book and they do not work either. I've been told that my contacts are on my SIM card and that all I have to do is go to my address book, go to SIM contacts and copy them to my address book, but the only numbers in my SIM contacts list are 411, 611, Taxi and the Bell customer service numbers. Anyone know where my contacts are?

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Where are my contacts?

Your contacts are now in the AT&T cloud addressbook. If you are ever able to get them back so you can sync with Outlook or any other addressbook, let me know.

AT&T in it's selfish "wisdom" takes it upon itself to sync your contacts with the AT&T addressbook without your permission. By the time you figure it out, it is too late. If you try to go in to the Options screens to set your defaults, it will ALWAYS default back to the AT&T addressbook, even if you set your default to "default." AT&T support is NOT helpful, and RIM will no longer touch this issue. If you get it straightened out, which I once did after HOURS and HOURS of help from RIM, it will revert back to AT&T if you ever update your phone, or if you have any other problems.

I just deleted the items listed in the AT&T addressbook from my contacts list and reconfigured my sync to go from my Outlook to the device only, hoping to force the deleted items back on to my torch (they are still in my Outlook contacts list), without success. I don't even know if at this point if I manually reenter these items on my torch if they will properly sync.

Personally, I call this stealing. AT&T has stolen your contacts and left you no ability to do with them as you need to (in my case sync with Outlook for business reasons) or with anything else.

I have also been dealing with a bunch of problems from Sept. 23, 2011, fixing one leads to another. I have spent HOURS with support, and now have the stolen AT&T addressbook problem back. The 2nd level support person, an admitted android expert, told me to bring my phone in to an AT&T store to have them look at it!

I am ready to cancel my contract -- I think AT&T has more than violated the terms of their own agreement -- and file a formal FCC complaint. This issue with the addressbook, which is currently unsolveable, is the final straw.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Where are my contacts?

techfan wrote:

I think AT&T has more than violated the terms of their own agreement

hello,

are you sure there is not a paragraph about it in the fine prints on your contract?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: