Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Where is my backed up data on BlackBerry Protect site?

I have a Torch 9810 and had backed up tons of messages on Protect. I had changed phones and forgot about my backups so had to re-activate my Torch.

Last week I checked the Protect site (never closed my account) and my data was all there. Today I went to retrieve it and nothing is there at all!!!

How can I recover my backups?

TIA for your help.

Terry

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Where is my backed up data on BlackBerry Protect site?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There are a few methods by which backup data will purge from the Protect site. Typically, it involves the user doing something -- e.g., going into it with the "new device" option rather than "switch device" (or perhaps the other way around). Also, if on this new device, you have not used the exact same BB ID credentials, then the Protect data did not migrate...it remains with the prior BBID.

But, if you've used the same BB ID, then it's too late...there is no method to recover backups that have been purged from the Protect site. Hence, it is always recommended that Protect be a part of an overall backup process, but not the sole component of that. See the link in my auto-sig on this post for detailed backup recommendations.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I did use the same BBID and, in fact, before reconnecting my BB, I was on the site via my computer and verified that the data was still there. However, just prior to re-activating my BB, I checked the site (again via computer) and noticed that everything had vanished.

I have never closed my Protect account so why would my data by purged?

I re-activated my BB specifically to recover the data that was there and now it is gone!

Why would BB delete my data on an active account? Surely they must have some backup system in place for this problem. The issue is on their end, not mine, and the whole reason for using Protect was to recover my data.

So, can a BB tech support please address this issue and help me recover my data?

Terry

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

In2Blues wrote:

I did use the same BBID and, in fact, before reconnecting my BB, I was on the site via my computer and verified that the data was still there. However, just prior to re-activating my BB, I checked the site (again via computer) and noticed that everything had vanished.

I have never closed my Protect account so why would my data by purged?

I re-activated my BB specifically to recover the data that was there and now it is gone!

Why would BB delete my data on an active account?

While I only hinted at them before, here is the KB:

• KB31489 BlackBerry Protect for BlackBerry smartphones does not display any backup files to restore

You can search for other KBs as well.

In2Blues wrote:

So, can a BB tech support please address this issue and help me recover my data? 

Every time I have seen it posted here where a BB tech happens to come by and answer (which, btw, should never be expected here), the answer has been that, once purged from the Protect site, gone forever with no recovery possible. If you want to request that formally, you must start with your mobile service provider and convince them to escalate your request up to BlackBerry. That is the sole method to make any formal requests to BlackBerry at all.

In2Blues wrote:

As I said, Protect is only a portion of a proper backup process...it should not (IMHO) be relied on as the sole component of any backup process.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor

Once again, thanks for replying. Please do not take the following personally, as I am not blaming you or anyone else who may offer advice in these forums. I know you all try to help each other and that's great.

I checked the KB you referenced and am very disappointed. In fact, I must say that my whole Blackberry experience has been disappointing, which is why I dumped the phone in the first place.

First, I have contacted Blackberry repeatedly from the moment I realized I couldn't get my stored data. They didn't even have the courtesy to reply. Not even once.

Second, I never closed my Protect account so my data should remain intact.

Third, my data disappeared two days before I re-activated my Torch. I viewed Protect from my computer and didn't see anything. I thought it was just a glitch. So it didn't have anything to do with me choosing "Add Device" instead of "Switch Device".

Finally, the procedure you describe for getting "support" from a company that is supposed to cater to business users is completely unacceptable by any standards. I have never dealt with a company with this much lack of support who didn't end up losing most of their customers and had to spend millions to get them back when all they had to do was give good service in the first place. They make Bell Mobility look good.

So, since Blackberry has destroyed my backed up data of their own accord, once again they have left a bad taste in my mouth and this time I will not be returning to use their phones or their "service".

Thanks for your help anyway.

Terry