Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Which BB's support bluetooth object push (OBEX) ??

Hi.

I just got a BB 8700 GSM with OS 4.2.1.  To my surprise it doesn't support the bluetooth object push profile - I thought this model did support this.  I'm used to sending files from my desktop to my phone and I find this to be very convenient.

So, I'd like to return this BB and get one that does support this functionality.  Which models support this?

Thanks,

Tom

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Which BB's support bluetooth object push (OBEX) ??

which objects exactly ?

anyways, the following devices can transfer files using bluetooth :
8100 series (Pearl)
8300 series (Curve)
8800 series
8900 series (Curve II)
9000 series (Bold)
9500 series (Storm)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer

Thanks for the response,

From your list - which appears to include all phones released after the 8700 - it sounds like this functionality is supported on all BB's using OS >= 4.2.

Which objects you ask?  The two most common things I pushed to my old Nokia phone were documents (eg. notes that I had on my desktop but then wanted to take with me) and midlets.  Bluetooth is a great way to install midlets if you don't have a dataplan.

Guru I

well, you can use bluetooth for that kind of files but :

for java applications : using a jad file, if I recall correctly you can upload it on the memory card and install. You have either to install it through the Desktop Manager or install it "over the air" using the Blackberry browser to see the jad file and compute it.
anyway, the best applications are java applications... designed for Blackberries. And in that case they come as ALX+COD files. Can be installed using Bluetooth and the Desktop Manager.

for documents (PDF, DOC, PPT, XLS), you need an device OS 4.5 or higher in order to be able to open a file that is on your memory card. Either it's already installed on the device you buy (that's for sure for Curve II, Pearl Flip, Bold and Storm), or you'll get a 4.2 or 4.3 OS and will have to do the upgrade yourself (provided your carrier has already released 4.5 version).

a very important thing to know : you can't send contacts with Bluetooth, except to a car receiver.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer

Ok, I tried the Desktop Manager.  I installed the latest version on Vista SP1.  I am able to install midlets over USB, but the DM keeps crashing.  I can't get bluetooth to work even though I have my BB paired with my computer.  Actually, I think the DM crash always occurrs after I try the bluetooth.

My documents are usually just TXT documents.  I hope it can handle that!

I'll look into upgrading the firmware on my BB.

Thanks for your help.

Guru I

for html and txt file, it should be okay. Same for media files including podcasts.

for the Bluetooth connection, you have to look at the requirements on your Desktop.
A special Bluetooth driver is necessary (the ones from Microsoft).
Check the forum because it's already been discussed. I can't help you, no Bluetooth on my PC.