Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Reply
Highlighted
New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-08-2009
My Device: Not Specified

Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?

I'm a brand new user of the 8830 (silver) and keep it in my purse...

I've already demagnetized my door access card for work and a credit card. Smiley Sad

Brilliant design idea!! (not!)

The solution: I cut the flap off that contains the magnet!

 

Also, the keyboard with the silver keys is barely legible.

(love those 'key' icons in the user manual, too)

 

My work got this thing for me to access the Exchange network. Thankfully I still have my Palm Treo for personal email and calender! Woman Very Happy

Posts: 94,679
Likes: 24,430
Solutions: 6,357
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?

lol, it's the best idea since sliced bread.

 

The case is for the BlackBerry, not your credit cards. There are specifically made cases for that matter, which keeps your personal items separate from the holster magnet.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
Posts: 6,657
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?

If you use the official BlackBerry cases, the magnets should not demagnetize credit cards as they aren't strong enough for that, but they can indeed demagnetize access cards (hotel access cards are notorious for this).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
Posts: 19,020
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?


csky wrote:

I've already demagnetized my door access card for work and a credit card. Smiley Sad


The main problem is that you are using a credit card that relies on its magnetic band and not on a SIM card like in more security-aware  countries.

 




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-09-2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?

Try making it through a day without one!  Believe it or not your device can actually be used to check your emails too! Smiley Happy  The reason it gets your emails faster than your Outlook mailbox is because its sending and receiving in real-time and that puts added strain on a battery.  The reason Research In Motion magnatizes all of their products is to combat the symptoms of a phone battery thats having to work overtime.  I have no choice but to holster mine whenever possible if I expect to get a full day's usage out of my battery.

Developer
Posts: 5,339
Registered: ‎09-20-2008
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?

The magnet in BlackBerry case is necessary to let the device know that it is in holster.

 

Inside of the BlackBerry device there is a sealed contact sensitive to magnetic fields, and when device is in holster this contact comes to ON state and device knows that it is in holster.

 

This "knowledge" is necessary for device to allow users set up the device behaviour when it is in holster, for example use Vibrate when there is an incoming call.

 

I have several BlackBerry devices and I check that there is nothing sensitive to magnetic fields near of them, when there are in holsters.

 

And when they are out of holsters I place holsters far away from magnetic-sensitive things, like portable hard-drives.

Guru I
Posts: 19,020
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?


FSTLS1 wrote:

Try making it through a day without one!  Believe it or not your device can actually be used to check your emails too! Smiley Happy  The reason it gets your emails faster than your Outlook mailbox is because its sending and receiving in real-time and that puts added strain on a battery.  The reason Research In Motion magnatizes all of their products is to combat the symptoms of a phone battery thats having to work overtime.  I have no choice but to holster mine whenever possible if I expect to get a full day's usage out of my battery.


Hello, what you say is not correct. A device, with the proxy-magnet, does not use less battery than if it were just put on a table.

The proxy-magnet only brings two features :
- the keyboard/screen is locked (clicking on it won't turn the screen on)
- the device can detect it is in "In holster" mode, which gives a new profile of customization for the user



The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Elite I
Posts: 6,657
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?

[ Edited ]

Xandrex wrote:

FSTLS1 wrote:

Try making it through a day without one!  Believe it or not your device can actually be used to check your emails too! Smiley Happy  The reason it gets your emails faster than your Outlook mailbox is because its sending and receiving in real-time and that puts added strain on a battery.  The reason Research In Motion magnatizes all of their products is to combat the symptoms of a phone battery thats having to work overtime.  I have no choice but to holster mine whenever possible if I expect to get a full day's usage out of my battery.


Hello, what you say is not correct. A device, with the proxy-magnet, does not use less battery than if it were just put on a table.

The proxy-magnet only brings two features :
- the keyboard/screen is locked (clicking on it won't turn the screen on)
- the device can detect it is in "In holster" mode, which gives a new profile of customization for the user

 

It also initiates standby mode for the device - so the screen goes dark faster than simply waiting while it's sitting on the table.  This is where the battery savings come in - it's not huge, but if you're constantly checking your device, it can be worth it.  That backlight can kill the battery pretty fast, so the more time the phone spends with the screen off, the better.
Message Edited by Krypto on 06-10-2009 09:47 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-17-2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?


Xandrex wrote:
Hello, what you say is not correct. A device, with the proxy-magnet, does not use less battery than if it were just put on a table.

The proxy-magnet only brings two features :
- the keyboard/screen is locked (clicking on it won't turn the screen on)
- the device can detect it is in "In holster" mode, which gives a new profile of customization for the user

No, the previous poster is correct. The BlackBerries sense that they are in the holster and cut the power to the screen. Otherwise, the phone goes to a screen blanker which draws less than a lit screen, but is still drawing some power.

Visitor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-28-2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Whose design idea was it to include a MAGNET in the BB case?


Xandrex wrote:



The proxy-magnet only brings two features :
- the keyboard/screen is locked (clicking on it won't turn the screen on)


I have leather case with the proxy magnet. When it was "new" (about 5 months ago) it did shutdown and lock the keyboardMan Happy. Now it simply doesn't workMan Sad. "Doesn't work" means that any pressure on the outside of the case initiates keyboard action. It's worst when I have it on my belt and am driving my carMan SadMan SadThe BB even dials phone numbers and attempts to make phone calls usually to 'gibberish' phone numbersMan Surprised.

 

I have tried inserting the BB into the holster front to back and back to front. Neither is a sure fire way to lock the keyboard. I will occasionally take the 'flap' that has the magnet and gently open and close it until it gives a positive sound and feel that the magnet (or whatever it is) is fully engaged. So....

 

1. Is there a mysterious setting anywhere on the BB to activate or reactivate the function of the magnet shutting off the keyboard? or

 

2. Is it "replace" it at significant expense time?

 

3. If it is "replace" it time, does anyone have any suggestion on how to present my problem to an AT&T store where I bought it. I like AT&T but I hate the incredulous looks when at the store when I ask for help with products that don't work. 

 

Thanks,

Tom

 

BB Curve 8310. Software is whatever the lastest update is. I get great battery life even after making many phone calls and sending/recieving emails all day.