Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Why can't I get an unlock code?

I bought a Blackberry Torch a few weeks ago, my carrier is AT&T. I got this phone because I needed a phone that would work in Germany, the United States, and South Korea; I am studying abroad this year and need a phone. My intention was to buy new SIM cards in each country, as this would be cheaper than roaming and more practical than buying disposable phones. AT&T agreed to give me instructions to unlock my phone and an unlock code.

Today, I called AT&T, who plugged my IMEI number into their database. However, they could not acquire my unlock code and acknowledged that another person with a Blackberry Torch had the same problem a few hours ago. They reassured me that the Blackberry Torch is unlockable, but had no idea how to help me further. When I tried to call Blackberry, they asked me for a carrier code, which I didn't have and AT&T knew nothing about. Without that, there was NO WAY for me to talk to a human, so that went nowhere. I leave for Germany in less than a week, and while I could easily take this phone back to AT&T, it's a good phone and it's compatible in all the countries I'll be visiting (surprisingly, very few are). 

Since it seems I'm not the only one with this problem, PLEASE help me if you can.

New Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Why can't I get an unlock code?

You need to call AT&T they have to give you the code because is a federal law that carriers provided u the code if u requested, how ever u also can buy the code online, you can go to eBay and buy the code from 0.99 cts to 10 bucks
Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 .246/.448/.526/.666/.706

http://www.freemyblackberry.com/

It's free and you will get the unlock code with instructions usually within 24 hours. I used them and no issues. Good luck in your travels.

Follow BBOSGhostryder on Twitter
Don't forget to click on the Like button if you like the answer to your post and/or click on "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.
Live your life in such away that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, satan shudders & says..."Oh **** he's awake".
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Last week, I tried the website that ghostryder gave on thursday.

It is free and you only have to wait for 24h and you get the unlock code. I am satisfied with my unlocked 9700.

I have never heard of the 9800 model not being unlockable.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 .246/.448/.526/.666/.706

Go here, http://www.freemyblackberry.com/ and you can get an unlock code free. It is a reliable site and I received my code with instruction via email in 4 hours. I've used them before and never had any issues.
Follow BBOSGhostryder on Twitter
Don't forget to click on the Like button if you like the answer to your post and/or click on "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.
Live your life in such away that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, satan shudders & says..."Oh **** he's awake".