Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Why can't I send or receive MMS messages?

thank you for your help. I do have a data plan but its with boost. they said eventually it will stop working because of the incompatibility of THE BLACKBERRY WITH BOOST.... but i can get online, i can access my google email... but cannot send or recieve mms and as i said there is no sms option. so how do i reinstall the software? is there an updat instead?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

data plan and BBdata plan are 2 different items

data plan anyone can get with any cell phone and allows normal cell phone users to use the internet

all cell phones have the ability to SMS(text) because all it requires is the phone plan.

MMS works with the SMS service but the option doesnt get put on your BB unless you get the BB data plan

email and PIN ONLY work on BB data plan

if you are referring to an icon called SMS & MMS click on your messages icon, click menu and options, general options

scroll down to 'SMS and Email Inboxes'... change to 'Seperate' and save

the reason MMS ability does not work without the BB data plan is because it requires a service book, and that service book doesnt get sent to your BB unless you have a BB dataplan. and if you do have the BB data plan, and no MMS service book, then your carrier needs to push your service books to you, or toggle the data plan on your account.

you can sometimes do it yourself but rarely works

options- advanced options- host routing table... menu button - register now

New Contributor

You are totally a great great help... I thank you soooo much. BUT, it doesn't work for me... In fact I can't find the sms feature anywhere at all. At this point i would be totally ok with just that. I did exactly what you said to do and when I got to the options under the instant messaging I saw options then a white page list of features with an "allow" or "yes, no" option but nothing with sms at all.
Forums Veteran I

then i would perform a backup, and do a security wipe, reset to factory or reinstall/upgrade of BB software then test it
New Contributor

Great! now my only issue is... how do I do a security swipe? and where would I get the software from?
Forums Veteran I

first you need to do a backup in DTM (DeskTop Manager). then on the BB go to options- security options- general settings... mneu button... wipe handheld.

first im wondering the problems all stemming from an old IT policy

go to options- security options- general settings and scroll to the bottom and see if you see an IT Policy name... if you do thats probably the problem and a security wipe wont get rid of it. Let me know if you have one and whether you work for a corporation that has you on a BES.

If no, then continue with the security wipe and after the reboot, check the SMS/MMS options, before restoring your data.

let me know how it goes and we will move on to next step if this one does not work.... BTW who is your carrier, and just incase you have not mentioned it above... version of DTM installed? version of BB software? (options- about, 3rd line down... v4.x.x.x)

New Contributor

wow... you are YODA!!! Ok, i have version 4.6.1.128 and my carrier is sprint/boost... going to backup data and wipe this puppy... if you do not hear from me until tomorrow I got tied up. Thank you soooo much

can u please help me i tried that but i still cant receive messages

can u help me i tried that but it didnt work for  me i am also using a boost mobile with the blackberry

My Carrier: T-Mobile

I used to be able to send pictures on my Blackberry and have never had a data plan.  A few months ago my pictures stopped sending.  It doesn't even try to send.  Did they change it so you need a data plan now, or is there something wrong with my phone?  Has anyone had this problem?