Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Why do I have any data usage when I'm pretty much always near Wi-Fi?

(So I'm kind of a noob, and I apologize for this in advance, haha.)

I turn data services off when I'm not at home (because it's winter break and I'm only away from home for short periods at a time), and there's a router in my house. I've read that Torch 9800 defaults to WiFi when you're connected to both that and 3G so I thought it shouldn't be an issue. The Wi-Fi symbol thing at the top is always white so I'm pretty sure it's connected successfully. However, when I got a *DATA# text today, it looked like this:

Next Bill Cycle: 01/26/2011

Data (MB): 5.2 of 200

Data (MB): Overage: 0.2

Messaging: 128 of Unlimited

First of all, why is there an overage if I've only used 5.2 MB out of 200? Second of all, why is there a usage at all if I'm always connected to Wi-Fi? 
Helppp.

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why do I have any data usage when I'm pretty much always near Wi-Fi?

Most of those questions probably need to directed at your service provider, seeing where no one here is privvy to the details of your contract with them, in regards to why you have an overage of .2 out of 5.2 of 200 limited. I agree that is weird.

So, when did the billing period start, and have you been constantly connected to WiFi ONLY during that period? Those short periods of time you left WiFi coverage, -- I guess that is all pretty subjective in that you could have used 5.2 mb of data during that time. I don't know. Do you?

But again, you might want to ask your carrier. They should be able to providde a daily breakdown of the data usage...compare that to your factual knowledge of when and where you were.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the response!

Yeah I'll be sure to call them up... it is possible that the data is coming from while I was traveling (I didn't realize data-while-roaming did not automatically turn off when I turned data off haha). I am still wondering about the overage thing, maybe someone from the AT&T forums can help. Ehhh. 

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Good luck, if you find something out about the overage thing, or otherwise, please post back and update your thread.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi canaryk

Is it possible you have sent or received MMS messages (photo texts etc.)?  MMS uses the carrier's data network and not the BlackBerry data network, thus, with data services off, you can still send/receive them.  It works the same as SMS messages however, it uses the WAP browser to retrieve/send the MMS data.

Thanks

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

I did, but it was at home, so it should've sent on Wi-Fi, right?

I will be sure to post when I figure this out.