Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch
My Carrier: At&t

Why do Torch extended life batteries need to be encoded?

So i bought up an extended battery for my Torch and its on its way. But it says i have to encode the new battery? My quesiton is why? The site i iordered it from says it comes with a really simple one step encoder but even they don't know why this needs to be done. Has anyone used an extended battery with their blackberries? Is it hard to do? I know they are pretty uncommon becuase of the great bb batter life, but i never had to decode an android extended battery, what gives? Can't wait to get three days out of my torch!!Man Happy

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Why do Torch extended life batteries need to be encoded?

I made the mistake of ordering some Torch batteries from a wholesaler and the instructions said they had to be encoded.  there was a weird little tool included, and really it was all a bunch of junk.  the batteries never worked, and they were junk.  cheap, yes, but a total waste of money. I've never had to encode a battery when I bought it from AT&T.  From now on, I will stay away from batteries that say they need to be encoded.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Digi

BB Torch is a highly protected and high security device. So its battery, for that matter only works with Torch (secret coding for your phone for that region and the battery). So, a exact looking battery without the code cannot work in Torch.

Just like car keys with immobilizers. They just don't work if the signal isn't sent from the key.

I am also facing poor battery life in Torch. Looks like we are not the only ones. I tried changing Batteries, but it didn't work. I read through the community, most agreed that it was the OS. So now, I am downgrading the OS to Bundle 1907 and see how it goes.

If it is still having poor battery life, I may downgrade further to OS 5, which was known to have good battery life.

BB is a very strage company. It doesn't respond to its customer's complaints. I read through the community, their feedback is miraculously minimal.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I have found that if I upgrade to the latest OS, that the battery life is so much better.  I also found out that if I have the right case - my BB will go to sleep, thus, extending the battery's charge.

Know where I can buy batteries online? I have a lot of users and at $50 a pop it gets pricey when I have to replace several at a time.

New Contributor

Nah...I just downgraded to 1907 yesterday.today browse extensively,sms and emails.still 70percent left after 9hrs.so it is the OS.n when I m not browsing,I switched to 2G to help conserve batt.
New Contributor

Looks to me like the battery needs to be improved to keep up with the demand of users. What say ye, RIM?

New Contributor

Confirmed it was the bundle 2354 that was sucking my battery.currently using 1907 without a problem. So make sure u do not update the os to bundle 2354. Also LOGOUT facebook or twitter when nt using.
New Contributor

That's interesting - thanks for the info.