Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 98900
My Carrier: Telus

Why doesn't the screen turn on to show me when I get a text message or alert?

Just got my first BB, the Torch. Just wondering why the screen doesn't turn on to show me a new text or any alert for that matter, like other cell phones? Why is it just the LED light?

It might be a stupid question, but I like the screen to light up to show me the message, and I've tried everything I could!!

Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Why doesn't the screen turn on to show me when I get a text message or alert?

The LED is a feature most don't have. You will get used to it soon. Maybe a ringtone would be better to notify you. I would not want the screen flashing all day long draining my battery.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Re: Why doesn't the screen turn on to show me when I get a text message or alert?

So what you're saying is that it doesn't do that.

Thanks for your help!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I don't see it in options to flash the screen

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Guru III
My Device:

There is app out there to change the color of the LED for different notifications. That might help outknowing if it was a text or not

New Contributor

I liked turning the sound and vibration off at school, putting it on my desk, and easily seeing when I get a text.

Yup, I found that app quickly and downloaded it, its sweet! However, the vibrations that you set through this app doesn't get overrided when you put the phone on Silent.. So you have to turn those vibration settings off. Fun!

Guru III
My Device:

Setting up the profiles can be fun at times, you will get through it and be a pro in no time

New Contributor

Haha thanks, what do you think I do in class all day!!!

This phone is sick and is worth the learning curve!

Thanks again for your time.

Guru III
My Device:

I know what I did in class all day, hope your are paying attention at least.

Your welcome and enjoy The Torch. Did you see the Playbook teasers yet?

New Contributor

indeed.

how do I unlock my Torch for free??