Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Why has IMAP/sync suddenly stopped working?

I'm using a TMobile Blackberry 9700 (OS 5.0.0.714) and have 6 email accounts attached, including 4 gmail accounts, one Yahoo! account, and another IMAP account through a private host. I use Apple's standard mail app (v4.5) in Leopard (OSX 10.6.8).

A few months ago I finally figured out all of the IMAP tweaks between my private host and the gmail settings to get sync working correctly (finally!). In other words, if I delete a message on my phone, it's deleted from my laptop as well, and if I read a message on my laptop, it shows up as read on my phone. Etc etc etc.

A few weeks ago, without making ANY changes to settings on my phone, computer, or mail accounts, all of these features stopped working. So a message deleted on my phone still shows up as a "new" message on my computer. Messages read or deleted on my laptop still show up as new/unread on my phone. I resent the service books, no help. Even deleted the accounts from the phone and set them up again from scratch... same problem.

I know that IMAP is still working correctly at the server level because if I delete a message on my iPad it is automatically deleted from the laptop and vice versa. Messages deleted from the gmail website are automatically removed from my laptop. The problem ONLY occurs with the Blackberry. This is driving me batsh!t crazy because the only reason I have stuck with Blackberry (instead of jumping to iPhone) is because of the superior messaging on Blackberry...and I do a ton of messaging. But I'm pulling my hair out here.

Any ideas? I am at a complete loss as to why the IMAP sync would just stop working without making any changes to my settings or device configuration. And it's important to note that this is not a single-service problem--in other words, not just gmail. The sync also stopped working on my Yahoo! account and on my private ISP's email account. But again, all these services are still playing nicely with each other. It is ONLY the BlackBerry that can't keep up.

I did speak to a Tmobile rep this week but he had limited ability to troubleshoot, only saying that it appeared from his end that I had everything configured correctly, server settings were fine, etc. But as I said, everything works between gmail, laptop, iPad, etc. The only place it is broken is at the Blackberry side of things.

Thanks in advance for help.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Why has IMAP/sync suddenly stopped working?

Have you removed the email accounts in question from the blackberry and add from

mobile.blackberry.com?

On that page, scroll to Communicate, click on Email, and setup from there.

Could be something going on with BIS, I'm surprised they didn't route you to level 2 support to send service books, register host route table, etc.

If this doesn't work, can you access http://www.t-mobile.com/bis/ to manage the email accounts?

Hello Wolf 359.

I have, fact, removed the accounts and their service books from the BlackBerry. 

Attempts to access email setup directly from mobile.blackberry.com (on the device) eventually just gets to an error message. First I do get to the "communicate" page but eventually just get this: (The site cannot be accessed in this manner. Please use the URL or lnk provided to you by your service provider.)

I have been to the t-mobile bis page to delete and subsequently recreate the accounts. Same problem occurs when the new account is setup... it fails to sync properly.

Forums Veteran III

Gotcha.

Maybe a software reload is in order since you've done some really good troubleshooting so far.  Can't think of too much else to try at this point.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/installpc.jsp

I spent 40 minutes on the phone with TMobile tonight, including 20+ minutes with a "BlackBerry expert."

She walked me through the configuration of an email account, including the options on the handset for reconcilliation and deciding who "wins" in a conflict, be it the handset or the server.

Here's where it gets interesting. As she explained, I would have to decide which platform I wanted to do most of my work from, be it the handset or my laptop, and then commit to this. In other words, I have to decide if I am going to spend most of my time doing email on the phone...or the laptop. Depending on what I choose would influence the reconciliation options.

Basically it came down to this: if I want my "primary" device to be the phone, we would configure reconciliation to have the phone "win"... so if I delete messages on the phone, they would also be deleted from the mail server (and also my laptop).

But if I want my laptop to be the "primary" device, such that any deletions I make on my laptop are also made on my phone automatically, then this would prevent the phone from being able to delete messages from the server.

Long and short of it: I can have read/write/delete data go from phone to server, or server to phone, BUT NOT BOTH.

This seems completely asinine to me, and does not at all seem to be the way it used to work!

I am absolutely convinced that IMAP data used to sync BOTH WAYS. Is this not correct??

Forums Veteran III

You are correct. I recommend the software reload from my link above. Would be nice if you could try this on another blackberry, but don't know if you have access to one. Remove your email accounts, reload the device software and try setting up again. You've isolated the issue to the blackberry.
My Device: 9000, 9780, 9900

Can IMAP ever have two-way reconciliation of Read/Write status via BIS?

See KB05133 - that implies that read status is never propagated from IMAP server to the device?

New Contributor

Okay...according to KB05133 (thanks for that) IMAP status doesn't propogate the way I want it to.

And yet, according to that same knowledge base article, the BlackBerry device should be able to do full two-reconciliation with a gMail account, including deletions, sent items, and read/unread status. It doesn't.

I've been on software v5 forever. I tried v6 last year but it was awful and I rolled back to v5.

Last night I did a full factory reset on my phone in a desperate attempt to wipe out any corrupt service books, etc. I have not restored my data from a previous backup. It is still in the state of a brand-new install of the latest build of v6, with the exception of having added a single gMail acount through the TMobile BIS.

Even if I throw out any preconceived notions about what IMAP should or shouldn't do (and my memory of how it used to work), and rely solely on what RIM says it will do according to KB05133... it's broken. RIM says the phone should be able to do full two-way reconciliation with gMail but it's not doing it.

Forums Veteran III

I'm not having any isues using gmail imap with my blackberry.  Sometimes there is a small delay but 2 way sync works for calendar, contacts and email

[ Edited ]

I  wonder if anyone from RIM actually reads these message boards...

I have been a loyal Blackberry user since 2005. That's 7 years, 4 different BB handsetsone carrier (TMobile).

5 minutes ago I ordered an iPhone. I realize that there are literally millions of BB users and to lose one is maybe no big deal. But I'm not the customer who flips every 2 years when his contract expires. I've stuck with the BB for 7 years. 

You just lost me. I realize that I'm just one customer and you probably don't care about one customer. But there are thousands like me who are abandoning your product every day in favor of Apple or Android phones. Maybe you should pay attention.

You didn't lose me because of the platform. I've long known that iPhone was better for just about everything. But BlackBerry has always had superior messaging. But when an hour on the phone with TMobile can't solve the problem, when a TMobile guru tells gives me information that directly conflicts with tech specs found on the RIM website, and multiple posts to both this BlackBerry forum and the corresponding forum on the TMobile website can't resolve the issue, why am I sticking around?

Goodbye RIM. Hello Apple.