Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Why is charging so lame on Bold 9900???

I have just got a new Bold 9900 through work and so far I have only found TWO USB ports (the blackberry charger that came with it and a USB 3.0 port off my desktop computer) that will charge my phone. It is bad enough that you can't plug in a blackberry to charger, when the battery is dead and be able to use it right away. It won't charge off my Dell Laptop or any other USB charging device that I have. Frankly, this sucks. I have purchase two other newer chargers, one a 2.1 amp version, still no luck.

Is the only fix for this is to get a different phone?

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why is charging so lame on Bold 9900???

Not all USB ports, cables and USB chargers are created equal.

All USB ports are not powered enough to charge, and not all cables are charging cables, some only can carry data.

I don't know why your 2.1 amp charger won't suffice, it should.

When the battery on the BlackBerry is dead, it can take longer than normal to get to even 5% charge enough to turn on the device.

Try this for a dead device:  Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the charging cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage). If it doesn't reboot on the first attempt, leave it several more hours. I've had one charge for two days before it came back to life after an extreme battery depletion. Every 3-4 hours, with the device still connected to the charger, you can remove and replace the battery to see if it reboots.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

The point is that RIM did not design the Bold 9900 to work with standard mainstream USB techologies. They are using a branch, which invalidates the use of other equipment -- that is lame. This is called backward compatibility; good designers do it.

If there is software fix, I would suggest that RIM implement it. Looking at the USB spec, I could see that there maybe some power capability messages that they implemented the prevent dumb chargers that won't talk to Blackberry from working with it.

Second, you should be able to run the phone from the power cord alone and not need the battery. This makes the device less reliable. When the battery dead, you can't just plug it in and use it.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

dahicke wrote:

If there is software fix, I would suggest that RIM implement it. Looking at the USB spec, I could see that there maybe is very definitely some power capability messages that they implemented the prevent dumb chargers that won't talk to Blackberry from working with it

There, that's accurate now.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

dahicke wrote:

The point is that RIM did not design the Bold 9900 to work with standard mainstream USB techologies. They are using a branch, which invalidates the use of other equipment -- that is lame. This is called backward compatibility; good designers do it.

1) they do what they do in order to prevent their own devices to not be harmed. When you provide a tool, you provide it to work under a given set of constraints. No water, no temperature under -20°C for example. It is the same for battery charging.

It is of course possible to design a phone that will accept the whole set of USB charging providers, but at what cost? Would you agree to pay your phone 100USD more just for that?

Or would you accept your phone to be 20% heavier ?

and talking of backward compatibility, why not also provide a miniUSB port, and a USB port too? Just for people having old cables ?

2) RIM won't bluch for using standard USB technologies. The fact that they have sticked to miniUSB, then microUSB, proves RIM is commited to use standards.

And RIM is part of the few mobile phone makes that are designing the nextgen USB charging specs.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-10-1776_en.htm?locale=en

some companies will have to switch to micro-USB (ie Apple), but not RIM, who are ahead of the curve for that matter.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: