Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: TELCEL

Wi-Fi Connection Problems.

Hi,

My BB has no Data Plan Services I can only use Wi-Fi to use the browser and What's app which is what I use.

The problem is that the Wi-Fi connection is intermittent, but that's the only symptom, when it seems to be no connection the SSID still on the main Screen and everywhere like showing im connected to de Router, when going under Manage Connection it shows in fact that i'm still conected to the router but when trying to ping myself or gateway there's no response. 
The Wi-Fi icon that's shown under main screen, menu and other places it shown Greyed and under Manage settings a white dash [ - ]  is shown beside the Wi-Fi <SSID> text I know this means that I'm actually not connected to a wi-fi network.

This should be enough to answer myself  BUT... the most of the time I've internet connection and i know it bucause I'm able to use What's App and browser, and the wi-fi icon still greyed and with the white dash.

Am I doing something wrong? why the connection intermittence? 

By the way... in My router settings I do have allowed my BB by MAC Address, and it has WEP security.

BB 8900
OS 5.0.0.1036 (build 1682)

Only Wi-Fi.
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Wi-Fi Connection Problems.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

You may be missing a specific service book. Out of the box, if supported by the wireless service provider as noted above, the following services will be available for Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphones. These phones will not have a wireless service provider data plan activated with them, leaving the following Wi-Fi services available after they are sold:

• Direct Wi-Fi Browsing*
  • Direct Wi-Fi connectivity to BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server Data connectivity)**

Note: The above assumes that the BlackBerry user has a qualifying plan with the wireless service provider, and has registered with the wireless network to obtain the necessary service books for the associated services to be used.

Thanks,

Bifocals

In BlackBerry® 6 and 7 software a connection to the BlackBerry® network over Wi-Fi can easily be identified with the BlackBerry® dots showing along side the Wi-Fi symbol.

KB13368 Services over a Wi-Fi connection

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: TELCEL

Re: Wi-Fi Connection Problems.

Thank's for the wellcome and the quick response.

So you're saying that if i get a Data service service books will update and it'll works like a charm then?.. even if i cancel it after? 

BB 8900
OS 5.0.0.1036 (build 1682)

Only Wi-Fi.