Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Wi-Fi - Does it actually work on Torch

OK on Sunday I had the opportunity to play with someone elses HTC phone and the wi-fi is perfect. Just like I was on a PC connected straight to the internet.

I have wondered for a few weeks about my Torch. Its sloooooooooooow. I dont know if its just Vodafone's setup or even this handset.

Does anyone get a normal connection like you would expect with a PC?  For me after trying my friends phone I think mine is faulty.  

I just reloaded the device from scratch but its just the same.  I might as well leave off the wifi as it causes problems with opening web pages.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: vodafone UK

Re: Wi-Fi - Does it actually work on Torch

The Wi-Fi on my Torch works like a dream.  Connects well, and the load time is as fast as my laptop.  I too am also on Vodafone, and they have no control over the Wi-Fi settings so doubt it could be anything to do with that.

Regards, Ben
Contributor

Thanks. Its going back then. Its got to be faulty then.  It connects and detects networks great just does not want to talk. Its only 2 weeks old.  I have wiped it, reloaded it and its still coming up with server error on any wifi, open, protected or any configuration.

Seems odd to me that it if it detects and connects so easily that it would not be faulty. Maybe I have to have 4 Torches like I did with my Storm.

Contributor

Excuse me while I start to flame....

Vodafone swapped it overnight. Its still terrible. Being a long term investor in BB not only for myself but for my company, then if this is the best we can do...phewey.

My Nokia N95 had better wifi network speed (albeit 20 software releases a week).

If it really does work that well I think its a comparison thing.  It was only when I compared this HTC.

You are not going to convince me its working right. I have been a RIM customer for many years and I am honestly disapointed.

Do I accept its poor and move on or does someone in RIM take the lead...

Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Qatar

Even me, I have my Torch over Wi-Fi and Vodafone Qatar and I feel its slow, especially with vBulletin forums, also some pages cannot be loaded from my own website unless I switch to the 3G Carrier Network, I don't know what's wrong with it.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

do you get the BB logo next to wifi?

if not then that will be an issue.

Look at my thread solving my WiFi issue, it might help.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold-9700-smartphone/Netgear-WVPN824-WiFi-issue-co...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

yes I have the BB footprints next to to the signal meter. My problem is not with just my own network its from any wifi. Open, closed or in this case just plain closed for business!!

Contributor

After talking to a few different Vodafone people  one of the support team told me that Vodafone requested that WiFi is basically unusable on their network as they have most of the services blocked to "promote" their own network use. 

Personally if this is correct then I think its never going to be resolved. Blackberry would be in a difficult situation because they would want to sell phones via this channel. Unless Vodafone opens up the functionality its basically crippled..

Technology moving forward...

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 (personal), Bold 9000 (work), plus provide support for various others!
My Carrier: Vodafone and Orange

I have a blackberry torch on Vodafone (UK) and the wifi support is excellent.

I'd certainly be annoyed if vodafone started blocking key features of the device, eg wifi, to make you use their own connection and/or products - although I believe orange have been known to do stuff like block access to blackberry maps etc so you buy their own satnav software.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: O2 UK

I am seriously starting to doubt it there is a solution for this wifi connetion problems of the 9800 torch?!

Reading the forums, it seems that you would have to be an IT professional to perform the required test and setting ajustments that they talk about.

It would be sad to move from blackberry after 9 years, but I am so frustrated with this phone!!!!