Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: TELCEL

Wi-Fi Icon grayed out, is something wrong?

So that's the issue, I've seen it many times being brightly black and white, and under Manage Connections it shows a Green checked symbol... 

But most of the time the Wi-Fi icon is grayed out and under Manage Connections it has a white little line instead of the green checked symbol.

It just seem's that something is wrong but i cannot figure out what... Can someone help me with that?

BB 8900
OS 5.0.0.1036 (build 1682)

Only Wi-Fi.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Wi-Fi Icon grayed out, is something wrong?

Is this happening on any one particular wifi network?  Usually these types of issues are due to the access point the device is connecting to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, the greyed out wifi symbol means the device wifi radio is turned on but the device is not connected to a wifi network. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

As I said, I've seen it being B&W many times under my home network (which hasn't changed since I got the BB)

But It's not only in my home network... Also it shows that its connected to my home network, and I do have internet connection and that stuff...

My phone is under pre-pay so i dont have any data plan or data services thats for sure... 

BB 8900

Only Wi-Fi.
Guru II

I guess I don't understand the problem. Black/white means its connected. Greyed out means its not connected.

New Contributor

Well.. I do understand it.. but, As it's greyed I do can use the browser, and what's app and fb and everything that requires Wi-Fi, I also know its Wi-Fi because I don't have any other Data Service... I can also successfully  ping the Gateway and myself under Wi-Fi tools.

My Router has DHCP enabled, I configured there to gave an static local IP to the BB... 

BB 8900

Only Wi-Fi.
New Contributor

My router is a Motorola SBG900 from my Cable provider
BB 8900

Only Wi-Fi.
Guru II

Ok. I get it. Its working when it seems like it shouldn't. I don't have an answer for that other than its better than the other way around!

New Contributor

Hahahahah yeah it's better...

I dunno if it has something to do with the fact that sometimes it seems to disconnect, and cannot longer ping to anything but it keep showing the SSID as i were connected to the nw
BB 8900

Only Wi-Fi.
Contributor
My Device: curve 9360 OS 7.1.0.336
My Carrier: Orange UK

your phone will switch between wifi and 3G depending on which one offers the greatest througput, and wheather you have chose to prefer mobile network or wifi connection on your device.