Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Wi-Fi help and BB message problem

Hi guys, just got my blackberry today and i have been trying to add friends using my wi-fi connection, but when they add me or i add them neither of us receive the request, also i was under the impression i could go anywhere and use the phones internet, hence the GPS, but i have to connect to my router... the internet works,, such as google but when i try the BB messenger it doesn't.

Appreciate any help Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2

Re: Wi-Fi help and BB message problem

Have you got a Data Plan with your Network Provider, or are you just on a Call Plan?
New Contributor

I don't get what people mean by this data plan, none of my mates have a bb data plan and work just fine, i have 1200 mins a month unlimited texts a month and unlimited internet a month with a fair usage policy of 500mb, hope that helps
Regular Contributor

In that case there is no reason (I can see) why you should not be able to connect to the Internet anywhere, UNLESS. Check in Manage Networks - Mobile Network Options - Connection Preference (if you have it as it depends on provider), and make sure you have Wi-Fi Preferred selected and not Wi-Fi Only.

Do you have the BB plan so you can receive your emails (sometimes free with Plan, but can cost up to £10 per month extra)?

Hope this helps.

Terry

New Contributor

Yeh i have it under wi-fi preferred, and it was descripted as unlimited internet+BB mail, so i guess i'll just have to ring Orange up, just hoped i wouldn't have to because their customer service sucks lol, thanks for all the info though guys
Regular Contributor

Did you get the BB as an Upgrade to an existing plan you have with Orange, or as a New customer?

When I got mine as an upgrade I had a similar problem, and it was due to the fact that you do not start on the New BB plan until your next monthly payment is made (I had to wait 8 days).

If it was an upgrade look in Options - Advanced Options - Host Routing Table. If it is empty you have not been upgraded yet, and it will fill automatically when your plan kicks in.

If you are a New customer I'm sorry but you will have to contact Orange. As you know how bad their Customer Service is I suspect you have an upgrade.

Terry

Highlighted
New Contributor

rang orange up and now have everything sorted, i can use internet wherever i go, i have my yahoo email and blackberry email accounta working, only problem i have now is that my BB pin messenging still isn't working