Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Q5, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Wi-Fi vs data

Hi folks.  I've been searching the BB forums, and even wandering through the owner's manual on my 9320 but can't seem to find the answer to a question.

I have no issue with data or wi-fi hookup. question is, when data and the wi-fi are both turned on in the handset, which does the phone use first to access the internet, my data plan or the wi-fi?  I've been turning the data off, just in case, because I don't have an unlimited data plan and have lots of wi-fi hot spots to use. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matthew
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Wi-Fi vs data

If both connections are present and both are strong enough, your phone will work off of Wi-Fi. You should keep an eye on the signal strength because if it gets too weak, your phone will not warn you that it's switched to cell network connection.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Elite II

I should add that if you want to make sure it's only working with Wi-Fi, on your homescreen click Network Connections>Mobile Network (I think that's the combination....it's been forever since I've used a pre-BB10 phone) and it will show you which connection is being used.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Orange UK

Doesn't this also depend on the "connection preference" within mobile network settings. For example, WiFi is off on my device 99% of the time, but with "WiFi preferred" set to on.

That way, if I am somewhere without mobile coverage and need to use WiFi, then I just turn the WiFi radio on and let the device do the rest.

Elite II

I have to admit, my knowledge of legacy devices is a bit rusty due to me playing with BB10 phones for many months now. Smiley Sad

I know that your phone will default to Wi-Fi every time a strong Wi-Fi connection is present. With the way you've set up your phone, you'd have no worries about using a cell network connection.

And I finally found a legacy device laying around and got it charged up. Follow Manage Connections>Service Status (or similar wording) to see how your phone is connecting.

I hope I've helped you. If any information is still required, please post back. Smiley Happy

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

The "wifi preferred" setting is for phone calls and the UMA service. That doesn't have anything to do with using wifi for data, though, if it's on UMA it will use wifi for data.

You can have it set to wifi preferred, and be connected to a wifi network, but not be using UMA if the UMA logo is not present.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Q5, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Thanks folks

I've tweaked it a bit and now can see what's happening (tweaked - not twerked

It's great to have such help so quickly
again, thanks

Matthew