Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Wi-fi not working

I set up my wi-fi network, properly typed my wep password and it says that im fully connected to my home wi-fi but when i attempt to use the browser, blackberry appworld or any other app, it says that i am not connected. Ive tried wi-fi at my school and it says the same thing. What should i do?  

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Wi-fi not working

Can you let us know what software version you're running on your BlackBerry? To get this information, go to Options > Device > About Device Versions - it's the number listed after the v. (e.g. 6.0.0.???).

Also, while connected to your WiFi network, go to Options > Networks and Connections, then WiFi Network. Press the BB Menu button and select Troubleshoot > WiFi Diagnostics. Are you able to connect to the local IP address? It should show a number such as 192.168.1.101 or something similar. Does it? If not, your phone is not connecting correctly to your router.

Final question is if you got this phone through Rogers, or if you got it used... If you got it used, what is the original carrier for the phone? The name should pop up when the phone reboots.

Hopefully we can get this sorted out for you!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Software Version:

Device version

BlackBerry® 9800
smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
6.0 Bundle 2647 (v6.0.0.600, Platform 6.6.0.223)
3G Bands 1,2,5,6
Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.6.5
Branding Version: 1.0.76.616M
Micro Edition Configuration: CLDC-1.1
Micro Edition Profile: MIDP-2.1
Micro Edition JTWI Version: 1.0
Micro Edition Media Version: 1.1
Micro Edition PIM Version: 1.0
Micro Edition File Version: 1.0
Micro Edition Bluetooth Version: 1.1
Micro Edition Location Version: 1.0.1
Micro Edition Security and Trust Services (APDU) Version: 1.0
WLAN Version: 4.3.0.85

WiFi Diagnostic:

Troubleshoot
Wi-Fi Diagnostics (Basic): Apr 05, 2012 19:08:36 PM

Wi-Fi
Current Profile: BELL864
SSID: BELL864
AP MAC Address: C0:83:0A:97:BA:79
Security Type: WEP
Local IP Address:
Signal Level:
Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps

VPN
Current Profile:
Concentrator Address:
Authentication: N/A
Secure Device IP:

I guess the local IP address isnt connecting. How do I do this?

As well, the original carrier is Telus, i got it used but I am with Rogers.

Elite I

Ok, a Telus phone should work on Rogers with no problem, but the fact that you're not able to get a local IP is definitely a problem.

Since you got the phone used, it may simply be that the previous person may have "shrunk" the OS and accidentally removed a critical component. I'm not sure that's the case, but it's worth trying an OS reload, just to make sure.

To reload the OS, use the method here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...

Now, there's a catch. Because your phone is originally a Telus phone, you'll want to use the OS for Telus (which is an older OS version), or you'll need to delete a file called Vendor.xml located in the same folder as the Loader.exe file in step 2. Delete that file, and then you can run the Loader.exe file to reload the OS.

Hopefully that will take care of the problem, but if not, let me know.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

it worked thanks a lot Smiley Happy

Elite I

Awesome! If you don't mind, can you mark the thread as solved by clicking on the solution button on the post that helped? This will help others find the solution in the future. And in the meantime, enjoy!

If you ever need a hand in the future, you know where to come. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

So it turns out that it actually didnt work and i was actually running on data the entire time which isnt good since i dont have a data plan. When I turned the data off, i am unable to to connect to te internet and none of the apps work.

Highlighted
Elite I

[ Edited ]

Oh! That's important information! When you turn your data off, you turn all data off, including your wifi data.  That's how it works... I see you're on Rogers - I would recommend adding at least a small BlackBerry data plan...

New Contributor

so i cant use the wifi unless i have a data plan?

Elite I

Well, you can, but if you turn your data off on your phone, you lose the ability to use your wifi data as well. And if you leave your data open, there is a chance that it may still try to access the network, even when you aren't connected by wifi.

The other alternative would be to see if Rogers can remove data access from your plan. I've never done this myself, but assuming they can do this, my assumption is that you would end up being able to use data over wifi, without the risk of using network data. But you'll have to ask them for more info about that.

Alternately, see if they can offer you a similar plan to what you have now with limited data (e.g. 100MB). So long as you connect by wifi as much as possible, 100MB is more than enough to get you through.

Best bet will be to contact Rogers to talk with them and figure out what your options are. They will know best as to what they can or can't do. Smiley Happy