Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Wi-fi radio always off

Can anyone help?

I know this may sound a little dumb but, I cannot turn my Wi-fi on. Each time I try and enable it, it say's 'Unable to switch on Wi-fi' and 'The Wi-fi radio is off' No matter what I do, I cannot turn it back on.

It has worked, I switched it on when I first got the phone and connected to a hotel wi-fi network.

Have I inadvertently switched something off?

My phone BTW is a Torch 9860

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Wi-fi radio always off

Start with a battery pull.  Remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it.  Next, if you have your home Wi-Fi as a saved profile, delete it from your phone.  Thirdly, unplug your Wi-Fi router then plug it back in and wait for it to reboot.  You can then switch on your phone's Wi-Fi and search for your home network.

Let us know if that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for the response BillJ,

I did try all the battery pulling, but it didn't help.

I ended up going back to the store from where I bought it. Taking a new 9860 out of the box, the Wi-fi radio turned on immediately. With it only being three weeks old, I asked the store to exchange it for me because it was faulty. They did but charged me 15% for doing it. That just goes to show how you get ripped off in other parts of the world.

My advice, never buy any electricals from the UAE! Wait until you get home.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm glad to hear you've got a working phone again and it saddens me that they can charge you 15% for the work.  I've never heard of that on a new phone but such is life, I suppose.

Let us know if we can ever be of assistance to you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.