Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: H2O Pre-Paid

WiFi & Data Plans

Hi. First of all I bought an unlocked AT&T Blackberry Torch on eBay. Since I'm a low volume user I'm using H2O Pre-Paid $29.99/month plan where the data rate is too high.

I need to make sure my phone will never try to connect to the internet via the service provider. I would, however, like to use WiFi on a daily basis since everywhere I go there is basically always some wifi coverage. How do I make sure that when I click "Browser" it uses wifi instead of the mobile network? Also, what are some alternatives for the Blackberry apps that work exclusivley with the service provider internet(like email, IM, etc.)?

I tried going into "Mobile network options" and disabled "Data services" but then I couldnt use wifi anymore. I know its using the wifi because it works even if I take my sim card out.

I really need to figure this out because a year from now I'm moving back to my country(middle of nowhere) where I'll have only wifi. No fancy AT&T data plans there..

And I have 1 more question: What barcode reader apps can I use with a pre-loaded database in the phone or wifi? Same question for GPS apps.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: WiFi & Data Plans

First, find a Wi-Fi hotspot (your home wireless router, Starbucks, McDonald's, etc.) and save that in your Wi-Fi profiles.  This is done by scanning for an open Wi-Fi network and accepting it into your list.  Then, as long as you're within range of that Wi-Fi spot, your phone will default to that connection over your network connection.  If you want to be POSITIVE that you're not touching your network connection (because the Wi-Fi connection could drop suddenly and you'd then be using the network connection), you'll have to go to your Manage Connections and turn off your network connection.  Of course, when you do this you won't be able to accept any calls.

As for your questions about the QR code scanner and the GPS app, I have no suggestions.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Device: G630
My Carrier: 123123

Re: WiFi & Data Plans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r3-eCuHt4g 

\

here you got to scann your wi-fi from PC , and get all those phones numbers