Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

WiFi connected but Does not Work

With my Curve 9300 I can connect to a wifi router through wifi options but when I try to open a webpage it does not work, not even my google talk works. I have also installed Opera but no luck.

Phone does not display a four square symbols which confirms that wifi is connected and activated.

While checking the Wifi option it says it is connected and profile selected.

Please advise what to do

- Nati

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: WiFi connected but Does not Work

Hi

Assuming you have a Data Plan from your carrier the router name will display adjacent to the carrier name and Wi-Fi will be clearly displayed. Make sure inManage Connections that "Wi-Fi Preferred" is selected.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
New Contributor

It does display the name of the router and the data plan (edge) on the top right corner but when I try to open any website it opens that up using the gprs (edge) connection and if I disable that data connection then it displays an error "Data Services are disabled. Go to Mobile network to enable".

Not sure what else to do,

This is a brand new phone just a week old and wifi is looking like a nightmare with it.

Please Help !

Forums Veteran I

EDGE isn't the data plan, its the mobile phone network signal currently being received. Turn Connection Preference to Wi-Fi Only and see what happens.

New Contributor

I went into the Manage Connections and disabled everything except Wifi and then checked wifi options to confirm that I am connected to the wifi router (active connections). Phone is displaying router's name on top and wifi but with a message OFF. Whilst opening a webpage error which I got - Unable to connect to internet plese try again later.

version of my blackberry - v5.0.0.977

please advise

Forums Veteran I

Hi

Best ensure you reset the prference to Wi-Fi Preferred and renable the Mobile network for the time being.

2 courses of action to follow now. Firstly try and connect to another Wi-Fi network - a friends, relatives etc. Pull the battery whilst powered on and leave out for a minute or 2 first. have a coffee whilst it reboots then try and connect.

Secondly, have a friend with a BB, or other smart-type phone connect to your Wi-Fi.

let us know the results.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8320
My Carrier: Movistar - Telefonica

ashkumar65, I had the same problem. The solution is very simple. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Browser
Then make sure that "Default browser configuration" is set to "Hotspot browser". By doing this, you are telling the browser to try first with the wifi connection instead of edge/gprs/data plan
PS: Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina and here we speak Spanish
Hope could help
lbb
New Contributor
My Device: BB 3G 9300
My Carrier: T-Mobile

hi fgiraldi, how did u find that browser option?? I'm on version 6.0 and I can't find that option so I can change it

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8320
My Carrier: Movistar - Telefonica

I'm sorry, but I sold my BB on 05/2011, so I don't have it anymore

But if I don't missremember (sorry for my English), the options item is the one in the main menu, in the settings options. I guess my BB was using version 4.0 or 4.3 or so. I don't know if version 6 has the same options

Generally the browser has its own options, I had the embedded BB browser, I don't know if u are using the same, or Opera or something like that

Hope to help you

Greetings

Super Contributor
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: vodafone UK

It should be in the browser's options.
Blackberry! Here, now, forever!