Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

WiFi connection problem - failed to obtain IP address

I am having problems with connecting to Blackberry 8900's WiFi at home. I have SKY broadband, and I have tried putting in manual IP address which does not get registered. It keeps giving the message 'Failed to obtain valid IP address'. It does the same with my work wifi connection. Any ideas? Help?

p.s. I am not an IT whizz and do not know much about IP, DNS etc.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: WiFi connection problem - failed to obtain IP address

Try this please, posted originally for JohnClark

Delete the wifi profile for your network.  Go to Manage connections >Wifi Options.  Find your network and delete it.  Then reboot the BB by removing the battery and reinserting it.  Then attempt to scan for networks and readd your network.   If that doesn't work, it's likely something wrong with your router settings.  If you have mac filtering, make sure you added the mac address in Options >Status correctly.  You might even turn off mac filtering until you get this worked out. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor

Thanks for your help, can you guide how I can turn off mac filtering? Is that something I do in my router or the blackberry? No clue! thanks again
New Contributor

Also, if you are referring to mac filtering in the router, I have not done anything of that sort, because i can connect any laptop to Wifi as long as I enter the passkey. any ideas? thanks
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: Airtel

I had the same prob - the solution seemed rather simple and stupid. Generally technical support at Blackberry direct to keep the data services off, however, in my case and in several other cases it has worked when you keep the data services on -

So try and do the following - goto options -mobile network - data services off. 

Than connect to your wifi and than turn on the data services. 

Hope this helps! worked in my case (blackberry curve 8520)

cheers!

Developer

nutsonu's advice to turn on options->mobile network->data services

helped me with my 8900. Thanks a lot.

best regards

Nikolay

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

I have been having the same problem. Started at a new job and they have wireless access points/routers in the ceiling for the employees. I just wanted to connect my new torch 9800 to the wi-fi but I also kept getting the "Failed to obtain IP address" message.

So I tried everything in this thread with no luck. I then went to Manage Connections > Set up wi-fi network > Saved wi-fi networks and went to SSID I was trying to connect to, highlighted it and opened the menu to edit. There are the three check boxes a couple people have mentioned either on this thread or other threads: SSID broadcasted, Automatically obtain IP address and DNS, and Allow inter-access point handover. So I decided to just try unchecking the second one (Automatically obtain IP address and DNS) and then re-connected. Voila! It said connected.

I thought everything was solved but as soon as I opened my browser I get the message "Unable to connect to the internet,  please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider."

So whats the point of being able to connect to the Wi-fi if it can't connect to the internet?

My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

My problem was of my own making. I previously had limited my wireless router to 3 dhcp addresses. Bumped it up to 4 and voila. Hope this helps someone else.
New Contributor

Maybe obvious solution, but I had same issue.  Turned off modem, wired router and wireless router.  Then turned them back on.  Deleted wireless profile on BB, removed, replaced battery in BB.  Scanned for network in BB, re-entered passphrase.  back on!  Before doing these things, I tried the other ideas but none worked...

My Device: Curve 3G
My Carrier: Koodo

Yeah that one worked for me as well, i tired everything before but this is the only one that worked.