Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

WiFi connects; browser can't

[ Edited ]

Hi - I have a brand new Bold 9780 which is on Vodafone UK.

I have a wireless network at home which I want to connect to in order to protect my meagre mobile data allowance.  The BB can "see" the wireless network and can connect to it quite happily: the network name is shown in the display on the home page next to vodafone's and the signal indicator shows a strong wifi connection (3-5 bars out of 5).  It connects to the network automatically within a few minutes of entering the house.

But my vodafone account shows that whenever I use the internet at home, I'm using my 3g connection not the wi-fi.  It's perhaps taken me a couple of days to realise this, because I got a vodafone suresignal box with the BB and that gives me a strong 3g signal throughout the house - so I can browse OK, but I'm still clobbering my data allowance.

If I try to force the BB to use wi-fi by turning off the vodafone data service in Network Settings, the browser tells me it can't connect to the internet - despite being clearly connected to the wireless network and with a strong signal.

On some of the KB articles, I can see that there were issues in the past with hotspot browser settings, but I have the new software - 6.0.0 - and the browser options seem very limited.  I also tried to connect my wife's BB Curve to the wifi (she only uses email and hasn't noticed the wifi issue before) and it does the same thing: login to wi-fi fine, but no browser access if the network data service is turned off.

I have a straightforward Belkin wireless router - 802.11b/g/n - which works fine with every other device I've tried to connect to it: netbooks, laptops, macs...  just key in the WPA code and away you go.  But not with the BB.  (EDIT: I don't have the router set for any kind of IP or MAC filtering and I have UPnP enabled).

I really have tried to find the answer before posting this, so forgive me if it's a question that gets asked five times a day - but please help...

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Cable & Wireless

Re: WiFi connects; browser can't

Hi there,

For browsing wifi connected you need to change your browser configuration. First, open the browser and press the blackberry button. Select options, then General Properties, and in default browser drop down box, select hotspot browser. Save the changes and you should be ready to go..Smiley Happy

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Nope.

The new Bold runs the v6.0 software, which has different browser options and no equivalent toggle.

Thanks for trying, though.

My Device: bold 9780

cant anyone resolve this problem? i'm having the exact problem. can't connect to the internet whilst the wifi is connected..but my friends phone which are Nokia and Bold 9000 can access internet using my home wifi without any problem..

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Look at my thread solving my WiFi issue.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold-9700-smartphone/Netgear-WVPN824-WiFi-issue-co...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Mobilink

I am having exaclty same problem.. but i cant find Advance options or general properties in my browsers options as cited by many people over here....  Can anybody give me solution?

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790, Playbook
My Carrier: U-Mobile

Jese reboot your phone n then try to uncheck the mobile network n jest check the wifi box then only open your browser because I did it for my bold 9780 n it works properly.

I wish this will help you solve your problem ^^
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Just to clarify things here, the reason you can't connect to Wi-Fi when you turn off your network data is because turning off your network data turns off ALL data, including that which is trying to get to your phone over Wi-Fi.

Your phone is supposed to default to Wi-Fi automatically if there's a good Wi-Fi connection.  Why it's not doing that is beyond me, but you have to leave your Data Services set to On.

So here's what you have to do.  Please note that this will not tell your phone to not use your Network Connection and connect through Wi-Fi only, it will only make sure you  don't use any network data.  First, from your homescreen go to Manage Connections.  Click Mobile Network Options near the bottom.  On the next screen, make sure Data Services is set to ON.  This will allow Wi-Fi data to make it to your phone.  Next, return to the previous screen and click OFF your Mobile Network and click ON your Wi-Fi.  You really shouldn't have to turn off your Mobile Network, but since it's being used we have to eliminate it completely.  Note that you will not be able to receive or send calls or texts with it turned OFF.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Mobilink

I have tried all of those things before coming to this forum Smiley Happy But unfortunately my problem is still unsolved

My Device: BB Bold 9900
My Carrier: Idea

I have same problem with my BB9900. The wifi connects but brouser does not work! The BB has come with OS 7 and in the brouser I could only set as follows:

open brouser

go to options menu

in Brouser options, I see general  options; but in that only home page can be set!

I do not get any default brouser drop down box! to be able to select hotspot brouser.

The BB toll free no in India kept me on hold for 20 minutes 3 times, but still could not give reply!

this is very bad service from BB destributors in India

can you please help