Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Three
Accepted Solution

WiFi problems with Torch 9800

Just bought an 'unlocked' Torch 9800 from Amazon.  We are having a problem with the set up.  The WiFi signal is recognised by the device but we are unable to send or receive emails.  When you log onto the browser we are unable to go on line as it says it has WiFi switched on but no coverage.  I have contacted my provider 'Three' and they say that from their end everything looks good to go.  My previous phone is a Curve 9300 which works fine, I am having to use my old phone and it is sending and receiving emails just fine with good coverage.  The Torch keeps on dropping out of the coverage its all very frustrating.

We have come to the conclusion that the problem is the phone itself, either it hasnt been unlocked properly or we are missing something in the set up.  Has anyone had a similar problem or can you shed any light on what we may be doing wrong?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: WiFi problems with Torch 9800

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If you can use, on the 9800, voice services via 3, then it is unlocked properly...but you can double check here:

Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function. Since you didn't say which 3 you are on, I can't check to see if they support the 9800 or not...one does, the other does not. But you can validate via the official download portal:

If your carrier lists the 9800 in their portal, then they natively support it and you should be good to use it on their network.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. So take a look at all of that and decide how you wish to proceed. Most folks wind up just buying a new BB if 5b applies.

If 5a applies, then I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you will need to continue workign with your mobile service provider as it is their network with which your BB is unable to communicate and only they can look "behind the scenes", as well as escalate into RIM if necessary.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Three

Hi Thank you so much for responding.  We believe that the problem lay with the 'service books'.  The software was 'missing' from the phone.  We contacted the company in England and they are sending a replacement phone!  Fingers crossed that we dont get a similar problem with this one! 

I would like to ask one question though, my old phone the Curve 9300 has a layout option which enables me to see my calendar on the home screen with the next two up coming appointments on view.  Is there a similar option on Torch for free?  I find it really useful to see my next too appointments without having to go looking for them!

I ask because the phone I received did not come with any quickstart  and I cannot really see any reference to the layout (including the calendar) for the desktop on the blackberry manuals web pages. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Elle123 wrote:

We believe that the problem lay with the 'service books'.  The software was 'missing' from the phone.  We contacted the company in England and they are sending a replacement phone!  Fingers crossed that we dont get a similar problem with this one! 

Actually, that's not quite complete. While I agree that this is most likely Service Book related, there is no "software" to be "missing" as related to Service Books. Service Books are delivered to the BB from the mobile service provider system...only via some very tricky means can you manually "install" Service Books to the BB. And, the SBs are required so as to enable the services to which you have subscribed (from, again, the mobile service provider). So, while I hope the remedy you've been given will indeed work, I have some doubts...the process I gave you above is intended to initiate the SB sending, to your BB, from the carrier system (but, again, only for those BBs that the carrier system natively supports).

Elle123 wrote:

I would like to ask one question though, my old phone the Curve 9300 has a layout option which enables me to see my calendar on the home screen with the next two up coming appointments on view.  Is there a similar option on Torch for free?  I find it really useful to see my next too appointments without having to go looking for them!

The variation is not by BB model...rather, it is by BB OS level. I don't know yours so I can only guess, but if you touch the screen in the notification bar (just below the time, where icons pop up for new messages and such), does that "Today" screen appear?

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................