Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Viva Bahrain

WiFi symbol is white but no Internet or BBM

The WiFi is connected - and says so - but I have no Internet or BBM service. Some days it works and others not. The WiFi is definitely connected to Internet because I have access on my laptop. Can someone offer friendly words of wisdom please. Thanks.

Middle East traveller
Contributor

Re: WiFi symbol is white but no Internet or BBM

Should add that I have done a battery pull and no other apps are running. I am outside my home network and Data is "Off while roaming", but Mobile Service is connected and I can receive calls.
Middle East traveller
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

You're outside your home network and your Data Services are set to Off While Roaming?  There's your problem right there; you've cut off the data to your phone, data that your phone needs to receive for Wi-Fi to work.  I'm assuming by "home network" you mean you're outside of your cellular provider's signal range and are working off of another cell carrier's signal instead.  If that's correct, then my response is also correct.  You'll need to fire up those Data Services While Roaming in order to receive data.  However, before doing so make sure you ask about the cost of doing that; roaming on another network can get quite costly very quickly.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor

I'm sure that I can get data off this "foreign" network, at a not insignificant cost, but I should be able to do so over WiFi free of charge. As I said, some days it connects fine but others it just stares at me like yesterday. The WiFi symbol was in white and settings told me it was connected, but no Blackberry dots and no Internet connection, etc.

There must be a setting, registration failure or something that is stopping my WiFi service connecting??

Middle East traveller
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

I'm having the same problem, is there a solution? Been reading up on it a lot and I haven't come across one yet..