Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Cyrve 9300
My Carrier: Koodo

WiFi troubleshooting help

I have a wireless network at my work (that is functional and works for my laptop) that I cannot figure out how to connect to with my Blackberry Curve 9300 OS 6.

I can find the network, and when it prompts for the password and I enter it, everything appears as though it should work.

The WiFi box is checked in "Manage connections" and on my home screen, at the top, above the time, it shows my provider's name and the WiFi network I'm connected to (Koodo - Arnason Lab <--- network name).

When I try to use my browser though, I get the following message:

"Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later.

If the problem persists please contact your service provider."

I called Koodo and they told me that this sounds like a device problem and that contacting BlackBerry would be my best bet. Is my browser set up to work via WiFi? Or is there something I'm missing about connecting to a WiFi connection?

Thanks a million,

Andrew

New Contributor

Re: WiFi troubleshooting help

It looks like others have had the same problem. How do I set up my browser to "hotspot"? I've found other instructions on how to do this, but I'm assuming it's on an older OS since the directions don't seem to be the same on my phone (which is the 9300 Curve using OS 6 I believe, although is there a way to double check this? I got the phone today).

New Contributor

When I view the network details on my Blackberry, this is what I get... maybe this will be helpful in answering why it's not working:

Saved Network Name: Arnason Lab

SSID: Arnason Lab

Security: WEP

Channel: 11

Network Type: 802.11b/g

Signal Strength: -42 dBm

AP MAC: 00:15:E9:7F:2E:7A

Device MAC: E8:3E:B6:AE:60Smiley Very Happy9

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Virgin

I get the same problem on a new Curve 9300 & did have it with a new Samsung Galaxy Ace that was exchanged for the 9300. Thought it was my WIFI Router being over 4 years old so bought a new one, same problem. It finds the router and sets up but won't get on the internet. My old Router worked fine with two PC's & another older Curve 8900. The new Router again works with the PC's but now won't work with the 8900. It's easy to detect the problem with the new 9300 as if you try to access the BB website as it's setup to only use the WIFI only, not 3G.

New Contributor

Good to know. If other people have this problem, hopefully they will let us know the fix for it soon!

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Virgin

Well what do you know. Spent 2 hours last night with the new router and nothing on either phone. The 8900 would show a line instead of a tick against WiFi and the 9300 wouldn't get on the internet if 3G was turned off & wouldn't get on BB website either. Tonight, both working! I'm not counting my chickens yet though. In my quest over the last week I've read about connections coming & going, so I'll keep you informed on progress. In terms of setup, I'd been racking my brain as to what I was doing wrong but as I'd set up both PC's, even on the new router, how could I not set up the phones?. Maybe the router needed time to settle into it's new home!!!!!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update...

Unfortunately, I tried my phone on another wifi connection at work, at a friend's house, and then at my home wifi, and none of those 3 worked. I don't think it's a router problem... it has to be some setup configuration thing with the phone.

Are there BB technical support people that cruise these forums? Perhaps I should find another venue by which to pursue this issue? Maybe a phone call to Waterloo? Any opinions on this anyone? What's the best way to get help from BB support staff? If you are a tech support staff person reading this and there isn't an answer to my question, can you at least let me know?

Andrew

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

awaye033 wrote:

Are there BB technical support people that cruise these forums? Perhaps I should find another venue by which to pursue this issue? Maybe a phone call to Waterloo? Any opinions on this anyone? What's the best way to get help from BB support staff? If you are a tech support staff person reading this and there isn't an answer to my question, can you at least let me know?

This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here.

I did find this you might review, although there's not much help here:  Article ID: KB24505 "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

So, questions... is this device brand new, or did you buy it used?

Could it have a previous corporate BES IT Policy on it? (check options > security .> information)

Does any other application work on WiFi only? Such as Pandora radio app?

Look at this with your WiFi router connected as you described in your initial post:

On your BlackBerry, look at your Manage Connections screen > click on Services Status.

What is the status to the right of BlackBerry Internet Service?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks a million JSanders for taking a look at my situation. As per your questions, the phone is brand new so I do not believe there would be a previous BES IT Policy (although I could not confirm this, since I do not have the "information" tab in the "security" section).

I don't see Pandora on my BB... if it's on there, it must be buried somewhere that isn't obvious to find.

The status for the Blackberry Internet Service is "Not Connected". Does this influence my WiFi connectivity?

As for the MDS Browser Domain info you linked me to, I wasn't really sure about what exactly I need to do or if this is what is happening in my situation.

Thanks for the help,

Andrew

My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8350i
My Carrier: Telus

Hello it seems that you have the same problem as me

I have a BlackBerry Curve 8350i and it works fine except for the
Internet i dont have a Data plan on the phone so i use my WiFi

now the WiFi works fine my Mac works and my PC so I don't see the problem

Please Help!!