Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Mobily SA

Wifi Calling for OS 7.1

Hi All,

the announced Wifi calling feature of OS 7.1 never worked on my Torche 9810 ... I keep updating it but still I don't see any option to call using Wifi only as announced in the 7.1 update site. Is it related to my Service provider or it may be not available at all Smiley Sad?

Shady E.
Egypt | Saudi Arabia
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Wifi Calling for OS 7.1

Hello,

Yes, that is correct. The service provider must support WiFi calling in order to enable the feature. They must install infrastructure (servers, routers, bridges, etc.) between the internet and their voice network system. If your carrier does not support it, then it will not be available on your handset.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Z30, 9860
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have 7.1 running on my 9860. I have no dialog boxes for wifi calling, yet my carrier (T-mobile USA) supports it. The phone was purchased when I was abroad and using a foreign carrier, SFR. The phone is now unlocked and fully functional on the T-Mobile network with this one exception. How do I address this?

Thanks!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello,

If I were you, I would contact TMO for formal support on the matter. Perhaps they need to deliver a specific Service Book to your device.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks for such a prompt response.

T-Mobile was contacted regarding the problem and they did everything on their end to fix the issue, that include pushing out service books that would enable the feature. In their final analysis, they decided that because the 9860 is not one of their phones, they would provide no additional support. The 9810 is one of their phones which is architectually the same as the 9860.

Upon further research, I learned that my device which was purchased from the French carrier, SFR has the Wifi calling feature hidden because SFR doesn't support Wifi calling. Question: what can be done to "un-hide" this feature so that I can use it on the T-Mobile network, which does support wifi calling?

Thanks again for your input.

Hall of Famer III

lgcooke wrote:

T-Mobile was contacted regarding the problem and they did everything on their end to fix the issue, that include pushing out service books that would enable the feature. In their final analysis, they decided that because the 9860 is not one of their phones, they would provide no additional support. The 9810 is one of their phones which is architectually the same as the 9860.

If the TMO network does not natively support your specific model, then it is unlikely that they actually succeeded in pushing the Service Books to your device. Did they validate, with you checking something on the device itself, that what they did actually worked? It is quite unusual for a network that does not natively support a specific model number BB to be able to push ANY Service Books to the device. The tricks to overcome this are also not trivial...

lgcooke wrote:

Upon further research, I learned that my device which was purchased from the French carrier, SFR has the Wifi calling feature hidden because SFR doesn't support Wifi calling. Question: what can be done to "un-hide" this feature so that I can use it on the T-Mobile network, which does support wifi calling?

I've no idea how SFR went about this "hiding". What I understand is that it is Service Book controlled...if the proper Service Books reside on the device, then the service is available...if they do not, then it is not. And each carrier controls the Service Books that reside on the devices running on their network.

I would recommend you do an on-device WIPE, followed by a batt-pull reboot, followed by these steps.

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books (pre-BB10 devices only)

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact TMO again and ask them very specifically if their network supports your specific device for automatic registration and receipt of Service Books. If their network does not, then you will have great challenges getting this device to function on their network.

Good luck!

Contributor

again, thanks for the help. I'll give this series of steps a whirl and see what happens. Short of that, I'll continue to wait until the z10 supports wifi calling, and go in that direction. Not seeing the Wifi calling feature on the Z10 has been the single hold-up for my purchase of it. I was told by my local T-Mobile store that wifi calling would be available in August 2013. In ten days they'll miss that projection. Do you have any credible knowledge about that too? If it's soon, I'll just wait for it versus putting my tech skills to the test with my current device. ;-)

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

I know nothing credible regarding anything "upcoming" from anyone. I do know that WiFi calling is a feature controlled by the carriers, so TMO must get their act together in partnership with BlackBerry so as to release an appropriate OS that includes it (as well as can use it with the TMO infrastructure). I'd recommend following the TMO support forums for that information, as that's where the more credible information would likely exist.