Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Maxis

Wifi Connection Problem.

Okay lets make it simple,
I can connect to Wifi, no problem at all,

when i got connected to wifi, supposedly, i'll automatically surf the internet using the wifi connection right ?
but the problem is, i am indeed connected, but my blackberry still uses my data plan (3G) for BBM, FB, twitter, browsing, etc.

what seems to be the problem here ?

P/s: this happens only at my home, when i connected to other wifi networks, this problem doesnt surface, i guess the problem is my wifi aint it ? but i can use the internet on my laptops connected to the wifi, no problem at all, do i need to configure something to make it workable for blackberries or something??

thanks.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Wifi Connection Problem.

Your BlackBerry will default to the Wi-Fi connection for web surfing if you're connected to a Wi-Fi network.

How do you know you're using 3G for some of your features?  The little data arrows will point up and down no matter what, even when connected to Wi-Fi.

To see if you're actually using your network connection, from your homescreen go to Manage Connections and turn your network connection off.  Next, near the bottom of that screen go to Mobile Network Options and make sure your Data Services is set to On. 

I bet you'll still connect to Wi-Fi and you'll still see those little data arrows but you won't be using any network data.  Give it a try and get back to us.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Maxis

i know cause, right next to the 3G or Wi-Fi icon on the top right, there'll be BB icon to indicate which network is being used for the data transfer,

do take a look at the picture below:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/munch20110723234042.png/

plus, my data plan doesnt support internet surfing, i only subscribe to the minimum plan which allow me to use social networks, BBM and IM's.

thus, when i try to browse the internet, it wont connect and says "unable to find the requested server"

and i am currently connected to the wifi,

its just the wifi wont work with my BB while it does work well with other smartphones (Housemate's android) and all laptops.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

From the picture you linked to, I can tell you that you're connected to Wi-Fi (with a weak signal), your Data Services are set to On (which is good) and you're also connected to your carrier's Mobile Network.  The fact that your Wi-Fi signal is so weak is why you're not surfing exclusively on Wi-Fi.  Your phone will default to Wi-Fi but if the connection is weak, it'll search for another method in which to connect.

Did you go to Manage Connections and turn off the Mobile Network, as I suggested?  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.