Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Wifi Connection with WPA Protection

I'm not generally WiFi stupid, I had no problems getting my HTC Rhodium (Windows Mobile 6.5) and this WiFi connection to play well together, but this BlackBerry has me scratching my head... Have a new Bold 9700 that I'm trying to get to establish a WiFi connection with my AT&T U-Verse Residential Gateway.

I manually set up the connection using the 2WIRE*** SSID, entered the 10 digit numeric WPA-Personal key (Pre-Shared-Key Encryption for the Bold 9700 and yes, I made sure I entered numbers and not letters). After all that was done, I got a message saying that "Connection Failed". A moment later it showed 2WIRE*** (my gateway) as being the active WiFi connection, but still can't browse the 'net. Ran a diagnostic which resulted in a message "IP Lease Expired"... no listed DHCP Assigned IP, DNS, Gateway addresses. Did a soft re-set by turning off the Bold and removing/re-installing the battery... had no effect. There is no data subscription on this phone... voice, SMS and MMS only. So I have Data and Data Roaming turned off and WiFi - T-Mobile as the preferred order of Networks.

Any advice as to what I might be missing?

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

My experience has been that the Blackberry does WEP keys, but does NOT support WPA of any form.  Its pathetic but true.

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

A rather broad generalization as I am looking at my display on my defintiely Blackberry 9550 for my WPA keyed home network and I have no problems with running off of it or anyother protected wi-fi network to which I am given access.  I have used my Storm2 here at home, many hotspots free and otherwise and at friends homes over their WPA key networks.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

It appears the WiFi network name (SSID) is case sensitive for the Blackberry.  You need to type it in as it is shown on the scan results screen.  PSK is used to set up WPA security.

My Carrier: AT&T

I have a Bold 9700 and in the Set Up Wi-Fi Connection, I just used the Connect Manually Option and added my router network name (SSID) and under security type I chose Pre-Shared Key (PSK) (guess, BB calls WPA code as PSK) and then entered the security key from my router. Connected easily
My Carrier: T-mobile

This worked for me!  Took me 2 hours of monkeying around trying to connect me BB Bold 9700.  Thanks for posting!

My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

WIFI finds the SSID but cannot browse the web issue that everyone is having (especially on BB Bold).  I  have a Motorola wireless router.

Finally figured this out - the key is that BB OS6 supports WPA-Personal, but only TKIP encription, NOT AES.

You need to make sure that your router (and subsequently other connections, laptop, etc.) are all using WPA-Personal with TKIP.  Then all devices will work properly. I had my router and other devices operating with AES, which prevented my BB from connecting through to the internet.  Bizaree - BB should make this change (support AES and TKIP) - it would save everyone ALOT of headaches!

Took me 3 hours to realize this!  BB - please post this up somewhere - everyone is having an issue with this!

My Device: BB Bold 9000

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have the same problem. Know how to get it to work? sorry for my English, I'm Spanish. ^ ^ If you know how to do it send me an email:

<removed> or answer me.
Thanks

EDIT: Removed personal information

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

[ Edited ]

Hi! Yes well my new BB Curve 8520 also won't allow me to use the internet via WPA. I'm worried to switch router security to WEP as its less secure. The pin generated by the BB is to be used on the router settings; you type your IP address (found on the bottom of the wireless device e.g. 192.168.0.1) into IE, and you'll be directed to your router settings. Then click 'Add WPS Client'. You have to insert the pin when prompted and it will connect... However, although my BB connects to the Wifi, it isn't able to use it i.e. under Manage Connections on the BB, there is a white dash for Wifi. I had no problems at my parents using their PSK, to which I inserted into the BB when prompted. I also read that I could add the MAC address of my BB to the Access Control List. I did that, and added my laptop, not only did it not enable Wifi use on my BB, I now cannot get Wifi on my laptop :\ My laptop just cannot find the wireless device now, so I don't know what to do. I'm perplexed at this... Stupid phone! Any suggestions, greatly appreciated Smiley Very Happy

OMG i did it! In 5 minutes! Using WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) and a Passphrase Smiley Very Happy added the passphrase and that was it! Yay! Not sure how to fix the laptop though :\

My Device: curve 3g

I just have to say a big thankyou for the tip about connecting to wifi. I was actually going crazy trying to connect! Technical support are apparently not trained for that!? My home router is wpa and has no way of entering pin or a push button method so anyone else experiencing the same problem, this is the way forward!!!