Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9100
My Carrier: 02

Wifi abroad

I know this question has probably been asked on here a million times but I just want to clarify to make sure I am right for my exact situation.

I am living in Paris but still have my blackberry with my O2 english SIM card. I know when abroad you have to turn off whilst roaming but if I am in my house using my Wifi is it right that I turn Data Service ON, Whilst Roaming OFF and Phone Network ON and this means I can use the internet, Whatsapp and emails for free through the wifi?

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Wifi abroad

If there is No O2 service, and you have Roaming OFF.... why do you want the network ON?  This will just drain your batteries faster.

Wifi will work with the Phone Network is OFF.  If wifi is not working.... are you connecting to it?

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9100
My Carrier: 02

Ok that's fine but my main question is, will I get charged for having Data Services ON whilst using wifi at my home because my wifi doesn't seem to work when I turn Data Service OFF but wanted to check that that is the way it should be and that by having Data Service ON but Roaming OFF and using the wifi at my home, I will not be charged?

Solutions: 6,362
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

No, you should not get charged with Wifi data, even if data services is on.

On older OS 5 and 6 devices, Data Services is required to be on, even for WiFi data.

Newer OS7+ devices can use Wifi while Data Services is off.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code